Petroleum Engineering is the field that deals with the operations concerning the production and management of the crude oil and natural gas reserves of the world. Thanks to the large use of such reserves around the world every single day, petroleum engineering related careers have an excellent pay-scale and tremendous job opportunities all around the world, especially in a highly developed country like Canada. Other than the high paying jobs, Canada also offers high quality living at affordable rates along with a safe and friendly environment. All in all a perfect combination of safety, high paying jobs, and good work and play culture.
JOB PROSPECTS FOR PETROLEUM ENGINEERS:
- There are various job opportunities for Petroleum engineers. In Canada, most of the Petroleum Engineering related careers are concentrated in the region of Alberta. But other opportunities are showing up in British Columbia, Manitoba, Newfoundland, Saskatchewan, and Nova Scotia.
- Petroleum Engineering is made up of two sectors namely the Upstream sector which deals with the discovery, manufacturing and usage of crude oil, natural gas, and shale gas reserves of the world. Whereas the Downstream sector deals with improving the quality of the products followed by their marketing and sales to various consumers of such products.
- Most Petroleum Engineers work in private industries coordinating and monitoring the activities related to the operation of the various facilities within the sectors.
- They can also work as Drilling Engineers concentrating on well drilling techniques and equipment related to drilling and well construction. Reservoir engineers take part in explorations giving valuable suggestions on the capacities of reservoirs and suitable well locations.
- Production Engineers deal with work related to developing and monitoring production processes along with the usage of safer and better technology.
- As oil consumption increases so does the job opportunities both in the private and government sector. However the job prospects depend on several factors such as variations in the demand for oil and natural gas along with their cost, job vacancies, recruitment for new positions and progress of the occupation.
MINIMUM EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Minimum requirements include a Bachelor's degree in petroleum Engineering or a related field.
- A Petroleum Engineer has to be an expert in the fields of mathematics and science with exceptional communication skills and logical reasoning powers. He has to be dedicated to his career; ready to face the challenges related to this field and must possess good research skills and leadership qualities.
- Master's and Doctorate degrees are added benefits in this field starting the individual's career right from the top.
ADVANTAGES OF PETROLEUM ENGINEERING RELATED CAREERS:
- It is the highest paying career ensuring a luxurious lifestyle.
- It is a career that is active globally resulting in enormous job opportunities all over the world.
- The career opportunities will be challenging in this field owing to the world's dependence on petroleum related products for energy production.
- Travelling around the world is part of the work including remote locations and can be a great opportunity to experience the world, expand your horizons and enhance your knowledge.
- Though the course is expensive, many funding opportunities are available in the Universities and the high pay-scale makes it a profitable situation overall.
- Demand for efficient Petroleum Engineers in oil industries are very high owing to the competitive course and the demanding career.
Petroleum Engineering is an adventurous field marked by the appearance of new challenges each day due to the ever changing global requirements. Canada with its large number of oil and mining industries provide tremendous opportunities in this field resulting in maximum exposure required to become an expert.