Petroleum Engineering is the sector which deals with the study of natural gas and crude oil, the development of the many oil reservoirs around the globe, its depletion. Courses in Petroleum Engineering include education in various fields of petroleum geology, economics, thermo-hydraulics and intelligent systems i.e. all the information you will require for a full filling career in this field of work. Canada is an ideal destination for such a course because of its rich oil reserves which provide ample opportunities to the Ambitious, in addition Canadian universities foster excellent ties with the industry, allowing their graduate students important connections which allow for easy recruitment after the completion of the course.
WHY PETROLEUM ENGINEERING:
- Petroleum Engineering is one of the most highly paid professions all over the world and this ensures a high quality of living.
- Petroleum Engineers are responsible for a safer tomorrow through their new technologies and hence are capable of creating a better environment.
- As the requirement for crude oil and natural gas increases so does knowledge on improving existing techniques resulting in technological breakthroughs.
- It is an ever-changing field which is immortal (at least for the next 100 years) ensuring a safe career.
- Travelling to various places is a part of Petroleum Engineering related careers and serves to enhance knowledge throughout life.
GENERAL FACTS AND REQUIREMENTS FOR PETROLEUM ENGINEERING IN CANADA:
- Master of Engineering, Master of Science and PhD degrees are offered in Petroleum Engineering by most Canadian universities. The top universities include University of Calgary, University of Alberta, Dalhousie University and University of Waterloo.
- The minimum requirements include English language proficiency tests such as TOEFL or IELTS, GRE (as per University requirements), strong academic background with a minimum GPA of 3 on 4, resume, statement of purpose, research proposal, letters of recommendation and financial proof that supports the education and accommodation costs of the student throughout his entire study period.
- Master of Engineering degree in this field involves a high amount of coursework with lesser research whereas Master of Science degree requires more research based work and both have a time span of 2 years respectively.
- Doctorate degrees span a period of 5 years with the first two dedicated to coursework followed by examinations and the rest of the years dedicated to research work followed by an oral defense of the thesis.
- Funding is available for all degree types through assistantships, scholarships and awards.
- Petroleum Engineers can work as Reservoir Engineers in private industries dealing with work related to production and optimization of oil and natural gas.
- Drilling Engineers can work in exploration where they are in charge of the technical features of well drilling and completion techniques.
- Production Engineers can work from an office-based environment dealing with specific areas of petroleum engineering such as production, monitoring and evaluation of techniques.
ADVANTAGES OF PETROLEUM ENGINEERING IN CANADA:
- Canadian Universities offer quality education with research concentrated in the advanced areas of Petroleum Engineering.
- High standards of living at affordable rates.
- Canada's ample resources aid in technological advancements that are necessary in this ever dynamic field.
- Most of the Universities offer Petroleum Engineering courses taught in English
- Top notch faculty members specializing in their specific fields serve as mentors to the students perfecting them in this course.
- Well paid internships and Universities tie-ups with various industries result in excellent exposure in this field.
- Student exchange programs result in an international education.
- Rich cultural experience shapes the students broadening their thought-frame.
Petroleum Engineering is a popular field and Canada with its flourishing economy places the aspiring students right in the heart of this field through its capable resources.