>> Study Abroad
>> Study in Canada
Economics from Canada
Economics can be stated as the best way to manage resources which are scarce. This is a highly important field of study where jobs are plentiful, pay well. One of the best places in the world to complete a degree in economics in from Canada. Not only does the country have a number of universities whose economics courses are ranked among the best in the world, it also offers a high quality of living at affordable rates.
Advantages Of Doing A Graduate Course In Economics From Canada
- Quality of Education: The quality of education offered by Canadian universities is extremely high. The best programs in the country make sure that their coursework is tailored to allow student to truly understand the subject matter, understand its practice in the real world through internships with corporations and the government.
- Emphasis On Problem Solving: The coursework of the best is also tailored to prepare students with problem solving abilities. This skill which widely sought after in the work place, provides a competitive edge to students from Canada.
- Mandatory Internships: Most universities have mandatory internships as a part of their coursework. This provides valuable real world experience, literally allows you to prove yourself to a potential employer.
- High Quality Of Living: Unlike many other countries the cost of living in Canada is affordable i.e. even as a student you will be able to lead a good quality of life.
- High Employment: Thanks to the unique coursework which is followed in the country, finding employment after finishing the degree is relatively easy. Unlike other developed nations who are still undergoing a recession, Canada is still in a growth phase with a large number of jobs available for skilled people.
- High Safety: Considered one of the safest countries in the world, because people there are highly content with their lives, the amount of crime in the city is very low.
General Requirements/Application Procedure/Cost/Time Required
The general application procedure is similar to that of the US and UK. An online application must first be finished and submitted along with a $50-$100 application fee. After submission of the form, all required details and hard copies of mark sheets must be submitted. Once an admit is received, you need to apply for a student visa from a Canadian consulate in your country, get it approved before starting classes.
All of the best Canadian Universities require a high academic score during your undergraduate. While a minimum CGPA of 3.2+ is expected, most students who apply have outstanding CGPA's of >3.6. Other than transcripts as proof of the CGPA, also required are the GRE and TOEFL score sheets, original letters of recommendations from three professors and at times a personal statement.
Cost & Time Period Of Study:
Depending on the graduate program selected, it will take approximately 1-2 years to complete a Masters degree and 4-5- years to complete a PhD degree in Economics. The tuition costs vary according to the program, but the general cost varies between 8000 - 25000 dollars (excluding living expenses).
Best Universities In Canada For Economics
- University Of British Columbia: The Vancouver school of economics in this university is ranked number one in Canada, raked in the top 25 in the world. With a focus on economic policy, theoretical and empirical economic fields, the university is known for its excellent research, world class faculty and facilities.
- Mc Gill university: Consistently ranking as one of the best universities in the world to study it. The university offers both MA (thesis and non thesis options) and PhD degrees in economics, with a special focus on macro and micro economics. The courses are taught by world leaders in the field of economics and a emphasis is placed on developing student talent through a problem based approach.
- University Of Western Ontario: Ranked consecutively among the top 5 economics programs in Canada, this university is known for its high quality research, and a curriculum which focuses on Theories of Finance and the Economic framework on which it is based. The university offers an MS, MA, and PhD Degree.
- University of Toronto: With a focus on core theory, economical methodologies, and applied data analysis, the department of economics in the University of Toronto is highly ranked worldwide and known for its excellent teachers, high quality research.