>> Jobs and Career
Biotechnology is one of the rapidly growing sectors around the world. It offers a combination of technology and innovative approaches that deal with research and development in the field of sciences. It is interdisciplinary and diverse in nature with tremendous opportunities designed for those students who are high achievers.
BIOTECHNOLOGY - THE FUTURE OF TOMORROW:
- Biotechnology has a role to play in every sector of scientific research making it inevitable that in the future the number of jobs on offer will be very high, hence it is also a very popular course.
- It has a wide spectrum of applications in various fields such as agriculture, pharmaceuticals, chemicals, environmental sciences, animal sciences, human sciences, medical sciences etc.
- Considered widely as the new IT, the industry is estimated to grow at a very high compounded annual rate for the next few decades. This makes today the best time to enter the industry since it is still in its early stages i.e. the industry as a whole (along with opportunities for growth and advancements) has not consolidated.
JOB PROSPECTS AFTER BIOTECHNOLOGY:
There are various job opportunities available with many different companies in various industries upon graduation. While some jobs do require a graduate level degree (because of their need for qualified personal who are experts in their field), most jobs can be joined after a undergraduate degree (a training period will be present before starting on the job). The many different fields of possible work are:
- 1. MEDICAL AND HEALTH SCIENCES:
- Biotechnology plays a key role in this field dedicated to improving the quality of life of humans around the globe.
- Work is concentrated on bettering diagnostic methodologies and discovery of novel, innovative medical therapies for disease prevention as well as its cure.
- Pharmaceutical formulations are developed to meet the emerging needs for improved healthcare.
- Research is not only focused on new medical theories but also on traditional medical theories such as Ayurvedha, medicinal plants and Siddha medicine.
- Since a large number of diseases and medical conditions are present which have no cure, this field is an evergreen field with no recession.
- 2. INDUSTRIAL APPLICATIONS:
- There are various industrial applications such as pollution control, treatment of industrial waste, reduction in toxicity, cosmetic innovations, chemical processes, etc.
- Biotechnologists are hired by both the government based companies as well as private companies for research and development work to improve the industrial scenario thereby increasing the economy of the country.
- 3. AGRICULTURE:
- Biotechnologists have an important role to play in this sector owing to the major dependence of India's economy on this field.
- Work is focused on developing genetically improved crops that give a higher yield and are disease resistant.
- Biofertlizers are also developed that reduce the harmful effects of chemical fertilizers on the crops making them more consumable. Synthetic chemicals are also being replaced by Biochemicals.
- 4. ANIMAL HUSBANDRY:
- In this sector, biotechnologists are involved with research dealing with improvements in animal breeding that yield better variety of farm animals which provide high quality meat and dairy products in large quantities.
- Additionally research is focused on improving the health of the animal to prevent their premature death from diseases.
- 5. ENVIRONMENTAL BIOTECHNOLOGY:
- This is an important sector and biotechnologists are focused upon research which will allow for sustainable development i.e. development without destroying the environment.
- They solve problems related to pollution, sewage control and industrial waste treatments thereby creating a safer tomorrow.
Biotechnology makes a major appearance in every field of science and the job opportunities are abundant in this field with excellent pay scales all around the world.
Technology as a career