Pharmacy deals with the study of Health Sciences related to drug information, medical formulations and clinical services to create a better living. A Masters degree in Pharmacy combines this knowledge with practical experience creating experts in this field. Canada, with its well developed resources and opportunities, serves to be an ideal destination for International students who wish to pursue an MS in Pharmacy.
TOP UNIVERSITIES FOR MS IN PHARMACY IN CANADA:
1. UNIVERSITY OF WATERLOO:
- It is a top-league University for Research and Medical Sciences well-reputed for its consistent, quality education.
- The Master of Science degree in Pharmacy allows the student to specialize in any of the following areas of research namely:
- Drug Discovery
- Drug and Vaccine Delivery Systems and Nano-medicine
- Pharmacotherapy Evaluation
- Molecular Pharmacology
- Rational Drug Design and Medicinal Chemistry
- Pharmacodynamics and Toxicology
- Clinical and Post-Marketing
- Phases of Drug Discovery
- Evaluation of Outcomes and
- The admission requirements include a minimum average of 78% in the undergraduate studies, academic transcripts, resume, letters of recommendation and a supplementary information form.
- M.S is offered both part-time and full-time with the coursework including a minimum of three one-term courses each 0.5 unit weight, academic integrity workshop, thesis proposal and thesis defense.
- A minimum of 70% in all the courses is required for completion of the M.S program.
- Guaranteed funding is proposed for all graduate students through studentships, assistantships, scholarships, awards and grants.
2. UNIVERSITY OF ALBERTA:
- It is a top research institute well reputed for its courses in Pharmacy, notable faculty and alumni.
- M.S in Pharmacy is a full-time thesis-based program with a minimum of 2 years comprising of two four-month terms with specializations in Pharmaceutical sciences or Pharmacy Practice.
- Academic requirements include TOEFL (550 for paper-based; 213 for computer-based; 88 for internet-based) or IELTS (minimum score of 6.5), a 4 year undergraduate degree with a minimum GPA of 3 out of 4, statement of purpose, resume, previous work experience, GRE and letters of recommendation.
- Funding sources include awards, scholarships, assistantships and Bursaries.
3. DALHOUSIE UNIVERSITY:
- It is Canada's oldest and most premium research institute known for its practical based educational training.
- It offers M.S in Pharmacology as well as Pharmaceutical Science with a typical time span of 2 years each.
- M.S in Pharmacology is thesis-based with research focused in cancer, cardiovascular and muscle diseases, Parkinson's disease, Huntington's disease, epilepsy, and drug abuse. The admission requirements for the same include a minimum average of A- in the undergraduate program along with a good TOEFL score.
- M.S in Pharmaceutical Science is research-intensive and imparts competence in the chosen specialization. The academic requirements for the same include a minimum average of B+ in the undergraduate course along with a good TOEFL score.
- Funding is available in the form of assistantships and scholarships.
4. MEMORIAL UNIVERSITY OF NEWFOUNDLAND:
- It is a large Public University in Canada well known for its Pharmacy-related courses.
- The M.S in Pharmacy is offered by the Health Sciences Center affiliated to the Janeway Child Health and Rehabilitation center offering education in 5 areas namely Medicinal Chemistry/drug design and discovery of new molecules with anti-cancer or anti-infectious properties; Pharmacology/Mechanisms of Toxicity and Protection in Neurons; Pharmacology-Pharmacokinetics/Mechanism of Cellular Failure in Autoimmune Diseases; Therapeutic Drug Monitoring; Pharmacoepidemiology.
- Admission requirements include a minimum average of 75% in the undergraduate program along with good TOEFL scores.
- Funding opportunities are available in the form of scholarships and assistantships.
5. UNIVERSITY OF TORONTO:
- It is a top notch University well known in Canada for its quality education.
- M.S program is offered in Pharmaceutical Sciences as well as Pharmacology and Toxicology with a minimum admission requirement of B in the undergraduate course and good TOEFL scores.
- M.S in Pharmaceutical Science offers research in the various areas of pharmacology, Toxicology, Pharmaceutics and Pharmacokinetics.
- Funding opportunities are available for International students through assistantships and awards.
While a M.S in Pharmacy degree offers a wide range of opportunities in the health science sector and Canada offering ample career-based development, the combination makes it the ideal destination for international students.