Last Updated: March 11, 2021
General information about MS degree in Pharmacy from Canada
Canada is known around the world for its natural beauty, friendly people, good food, and its high-quality, affordable education. Of the many courses offered, its courses in Pharmacy offering various degrees deserve special mention because of the practical based education which combines theory and practical hands-on studies to ensure that students who pass out are truly the best, can go on to become leaders in their respective fields.
With several universities offering Pharmacy degree courses, it comes as no surprise that Pharmacy is one of the best courses in Canada. Moreover, an international student has several options to choose from - just in the case of Pharmacy.
Also see Best courses in Canada
Another reason that the course of Pharmacy is popular amongst international students is that after completing a degree, international students have a good chance of securing a steady job in Canada itself. Even if an international student is not interested in getting a job in Canada itself, the degree and experience that international students gain from Canadian universities are recognized worldwide. This gives the international students an edge in the field of pharmacy and boosts their career as well.
Scholarship Options Available for International Students
It is a fact that the tuition fee is quite expensive, even though most disagree. The tuition fee increases as per the university and its conditions. Furthermore, for some pharmacy courses, there is an additional charge for practical equipment which is additional to the base tuition fee. However, every university has great scholarship programs that are catered for international students that would like to study in Canada from all over the world. Some of the most popular scholarship programs offered by Canadian universities are as follows -
- York University International Student Scholarship Program : International students who have shown exceptional academic performance are awarded a scholarship of anywhere between $60,000 to $100,000 for four years.
- Lester B. Pearson International Scholarships: This scholarship is awarded by the University of Toronto to students who have shown outstanding performance academically. The scholarship is very special and not only looks at academics but also the student's creativity and leadership quality. The scholarship covers tuition, books, incidental fees, and full residence support for four years.
- Carleton Prestige Scholarships: The Carleton University awards this scholarship to outstanding academic students who have scored 90% or higher academically. The scholarship is available for undergraduate international students only.
- University of British Columbia Scholarships for International Students: Offered by the University of British Columbia, this scholarship is awarded to students who show outstanding academic achievement. This scholarship is exclusively for international undergraduate students.
Canada's Education System
- Canada is home to 14 Nobel Prize-winning scientists in the different fields of Science and Medicine; this shows the extremely high quality of the teachers whom you will meet in Canada's top universities.
- Most of the Universities present in Canada are public-based i.e. are funded by the government of Canada. Additionally, since the number of private universities is extremely small, the cost of studying in the country is among the lowest (even though the quality of education is extremely high). So opportunities for international students with limited means are very high.
- While French is the native language of choice, most of the local population are bi-lingual, so most have considerable knowledge of English. Additionally, most Universities offer courses in English and French to meet the diversified needs of both international and home-grown students.
- Through its well-developed economy Canada offers various high-paying job opportunities in the health science arena, so high quality of living is relatively easy if you perform well during your Master's degree.
M.S. in Pharmacy - An outlook
- An M.S degree in Pharmacy trains students in the various sectors of heat, clinical and medical science. This degree is authorized by the Canadian Council for Accreditation of Pharmacy Programs (CCAPP).
- Top colleges for M.S in Pharmacy include University of Waterloo, Dalhousie University, University of Alberta, Memorial University of Newfoundland, and University of Toronto.
- General admission requirements include exceptional TOEFL or IELTS scores, strong academics with a minimum average of B+ in the undergraduate courses, resume, statement of purpose, letters of recommendation, GRE (as per the University requirements), and financial documents supporting the entire cost of the student's education and accommodation in Canada during his study period.
- The degree includes a thesis-based or research-intensive coursework program coupled with an internship period followed by an examination meted out by the Pharmacy Examining Board of Canada (PEBC).
- Funding is available in the form of scholarships, assistantships, and awards.
Job prospects in Pharmacy
- Pharmacy degrees open avenues of job opportunities in clinics and hospitals as Pharmacists or private pharmaceutical companies as Pharmacy technicians.
- Industrial sectors also employ Pharmacists for medicine formulations, information on drugs, and even in the sales and marketing department.
- Opportunities are also open in the educational sectors as lecturers in the respective specialized areas of Pharmacy as well as in the community and social sector.
- To know more about the potential job prospects, click here
Advantages of getting an MS from Canada
- A low tuition fee for quality education in return is the best benefit of all.
- Up to date technology and ample resources providing a total exposure is available in Canada offering a very satisfying educational experience.
- Top-notch Faculty guide students in perfecting their areas of interest through more importance to the practical aspects of education.
- Easier visa and immigration procedures make Canada a more attractive destination.
- Ample job opportunities ensuring career growth is available here.
- Rich cultural experience expanding worldview and abundant exposures opening new horizons are part of the education learned.
- Comfortable lifestyle with a safe and chilled-out society adds to the appeal.
Best universities for MS in Pharmacy
As an International student, Canada is one of the best destinations for Pharmaceutical studies offering both career-based progress and self-development. Below is a list of the best universities that provide world-class MS in Pharmacy degrees.
- The University of British Columbia
- The University of Waterloo
- The University of Alberta
- The Dalhousie University
- The Memorial University of Newfoundland
- The University of Toronto
- The University of Saskatchewan
- The McGill University
- The University of Manitoba
- The Western University (Canada)
To get detailed information regarding the universities mentioned above click here