Last Updated: February 23, 2021
TOEFL (Test of English as Foreign Language)
What is TOEFL?
TOEFL stands for Test of English as Foreign Language, is an exam required by most US and Canadian universities to prove proficiency (especially for international students coming from countries where English is not a native language) in English. It measures your listening, reading, speaking, and writing skills to perform academic tasks in English. Many Universities in Europe and other countries also accept TOEFL (IELTS
is popular outside the USA). The popularity of TOEFL is growing and its score is accepted for Immigration to NZ, Australia!
More than 10,000 colleges in 100+ countries accept TOEFL score.
There are two formats for the TOEFL test. The format you take depends on the location of your test center. Most test-takers take the TOEFL iBT (iBT stands for Internet Based Test) test. Test centers that do not have Internet access offer the Paper-based Test (PBT).
How much does the TOEFL cost?
TOEFL cost ranges from US$180 to US$300 (depending on country/location). But the additional charges incurred for other services are as follows:
Starting August 1,2019 TOEFL test has been shortened to 3 hours. It used to be 3 hours 30 minutes.
|Late Registration||US $40|
|Reinstatement of canceled scores||US $20|
|Additional score report||US $20 each|
|Speaking or Writing Score Review||US $80 each|
TOEFL Test (iBT) Structure
|Section|| Time Limit|| Questions|| Tasks||Score|
|Reading*|| 54-72 minutes|| 30-40 questions || Read 3 or 4 passages from academic texts and answer questions.||0-30|
|Listening|| 41-57 minutes ||28-39 questions|| Listen to lectures, classroom discussions and conversations, then answer questions.||0-30|
|Break 10 minutes|
|Speaking|| 17 minutes ||4 tasks|| Express an opinion on a familiar topic; speak based on reading and listening tasks.||0-30|
|Writing || 50 minutes|| 2 tasks|| Write essay responses based on reading and listening tasks; support an opinion in writing. ||0-30|
How is TOEFL scored?
Each section of TOEFL has a max score of 30; the total maximum score is 120. Most universities require a TOEFL score ranging from 80-100. Scores will be posted online within two weeks of the test date. You can view the score online at ets.org (yes, you will have to create a login id). You can select up to four institutions to send your score for free (it's included in TOEFL Test fees). You can send your scores to as many institutions as you choose for a fee of US$20 per report. Scores are mailed approximately four to seven days after receipt of your request and payment.
The last question in the reading section (in each set) is worth 2 points, and it may have up to 3 correct answers (out of 6 choices)
- For 0/1 correct answers you will get 0 points
- For 2 correct answers you will get 1 point
- For 3 correct answers you will get 2 points
TOEFL sample tests with answers
What is the validity of the TOEFL score?
TOEFL score is valid for two years. Within these two years, you can order additional reports at the cost of $20 per institution. You can apply for additional score reports through the ETS Account, by Fax, and by Mail.
- ETS Account- Login to your account online or through the TOEFL official app and click on the “Send Additional Score Report” option. You will have to pay using a credit/debit card or a PayPal account if you have one. While applying through this method, you will receive your score report within 3-5 business days.
- Fax- You can download the TOEFL iBT Additional Score Report Request form , fill it out without errors and fax it with your appointment number and payment information to +1-610-290-8972. They will mail the report 10 days after the request has been received.
- Mail- Download the TOEFL iBT Additional Score Report Request form and mail it with the payment to
P. O. Box 6153
Princeton, NJ 08541-6153 USA
They will mail the score report 10 days after they receive the request.
How many times can you take TOEFL test?
You can take TOEFL any number of times (you can only take once in 12 days).
How to send TOEFL scores?
You are allowed to send scores to 4 Universities for free. You need to select those universities before your test. You can send additional reports for a fee of $20/report. You have the option of changing the recipient’s information until 10 p.m. on the day before the test. This can be done either through your ETS account online or through the TOEFL official app.
How much time does ETS take to send official TOEFL scores/reports?
Your reports/official score will be sent to schools/colleges in around 13 days after you take the test (remember they are sent via mail and sometimes it may get delayed). Depending on the way in which they send the score, the time it will take for colleges to receive your report are as follows:
- If it is sent through the ETS Data Manager, the score report will reach within 6-8 days after the test date.
- If sent through the Scorelink Service, it will take around8-10 days to reach the destination.
- The scores can be sent through the Postal Mail as well, and then it will be received within 9-11 days with an additional 7-10 days as mailing time. Refer to standard mail delivery timings for more information.
Where can I find the institution/department code for TOEFL?
- TOEFL Departmental code list https://www.ets.org/s/toefl/pdf/dept_code_list.pdf
- TOEFL Institution/University code can be searched from http://www.toeflgoanywhere.org/search-who-accepts-toefl
What qualifications are required to give TOEFL?
There are no officially required qualifications. If you are a non-native English speaker and your target college is in an English-speaking country then you might have to show your proficiency in English and TOEFL score might be required.
Well, most Universities worldwide accept both these days, but TOEFL is more popular in the US, and IELTS is popular in Australia, Canada, and Europe. IELTS is now widely accepted in the US. Check your target universities and based on requirements take the corresponding test.
Things to Remember
- TOEFL iBT test can be given on fixed dates, it happens multiple times in a year. You might have to check the ETS website for the exact date and timing of your desired location.
- Your official scores can be sent to up to four Universities (if you select them before the test).
- Your responses are scored holistically on a scale of 0 to 5. The average score on the two tasks is converted to a scaled score of 0 to 30.
- TOEFL may not be required by students from countries where the native language is English.
- You are given the option of canceling your scores at the end of your test session
- Yes, you can reinstate your scores if your request is received at ETS within 10 days of your test date, for a fee of US$20.