Pharmacy deals with the study of chemicals and biological systems in order to apply the knowledge gained for the formulation of novel therapeutic drugs in the health sciences sector. Pharmacists are involved in the many different and varied areas related to the drug development process, as well as therapy and medical information.
An evergreen sector, since humans will always require drugs to combat diseases no matter the state of the economy, a Masters in Pharmacy will always offer sufficient amount of job opportunities after graduation. Canada through its booming pharmacy sector, strong economy, and high standards of safety and living is the perfect destination for a graduate degree in this stream of study. Additionally Canadian universities promote good relations with the industry, provide ample opportunities for internships during the course curriculum itself. This ensures that the amount of money invested during your study is recovered quickly within a few years after graduation.
- There are ample job opportunities in Canada especially in the Pharmaceutical field due to shortages of skilled pharmacists in the British Columbia, Saskatchewan, Alberta, Manitoba, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Ontario and Prince Edward Island regions.
- Pharmacists have various roles to play depending on the environment in which they work.
- Community Pharmacists are involved with providing information on type of drug, its required dosage and storage. They can work with government or private hospitals and clinics or can also set up their own drugstore.
- Hospital Pharmacists generally work in the hospital environment with the major role of making sure that the correct amount of medicines are delivered to the patients in cases of intravenous as well as oral administrations. They are in charge of compounding medicines if necessary.
- Industrial Pharmacists are involved in research and conducting trials. They are responsible for drug safety and its appropriate promotion.
- Consultant Pharmacists are involved in consultative services to the patients and clients providing them with the necessary drug information.
- Veterinary Pharmacists to take care of animal diseases.
- Careers in Pharmacy informatics are also growing wherein the pharmacists are involved with the management and optimization of the health system.
- Careers are also available in the educational sectors to provide quality education and training in pharmaceutical science to prospective students.
- A bachelor's degree in Pharmacy or related field that contains a good number of pharmacy courses.
- Good experience and training.
- They must possess excellent knowledge in clinical sciences and pharmaceutical chemistry along with good communication, inter-personal and problem solving skills.
- License required by the Pharmacists authorizing their practice.
ADVANTAGES OF PHARMACY RELATED CAREERS IN CANADA:
- Pharmacists are generally paid a very high salary ensuring a luxurious lifestyle.
- Pharmacy related careers can be pursued at any place around the world so a Pharmacist will never run out of a job whichever place he goes to.
- With increase in diseases there has been a mounting need for new drugs and efficient therapy. As the need for new drugs increases so does the need for efficient Pharmacists.
- The course is not very expensive and is also assisted by many funding opportunities such as scholarships and assistantships.
- A career in pharmaceutical science will be highly challenging and never mundane.
- Canada has well developed research facilities with up to date technology which are important requirements in this field.
Pharmaceutical Science is a highly demanding field due to the ever changing trends. Pharmaceutical related careers are ample in Canada due to the existing shortages, growing number of hospitals and diseases and the well developed resources to manage it all.