Pharmaceutical Science deals with the study of the production of different kinds of drugs, their safe dosage levels, and efficient usage. A doctorate in Pharmacy will allow you to be well versed in this field, provide you with the opportunity to learn from the best in this evergreen and ever changing field of work. Other than the above advantages, Canada thanks to its excellent job opportunities and a strong economy will provide you with ample chances to use the knowledge gained to produce drugs and medicines to combat a large number of diseases around the world.
PhD In Pharmaceutical Sciences From Canada - GENERAL STRUCTURE:
- A doctorate generally has a time span of four to six years (Most students complete the degree within five years). The first two years are comprised of extensive coursework followed by strict examinations. The remaining years of study are devoted to research-intensive work followed by the preparation of the research thesis and its oral defense from other scientists.
- A Ph.D. in Pharmacy covers the various sectors of health sciences such as drug-related studies, medical formulations, pharmaceutical chemistry, etc.
- Admissions to the Doctorate programs require a Master's degree in the relevant field of interest with a minimum grade point average of 3 on 4, resume, statement of purpose, letter of recommendation, research proposal, TOEFL, and GRE. Some Universities require the completion of particular examinations after the Master's degree by prospective Ph.D. students. But some universities do offer a combined MS cum Ph.D. course.
ADVANTAGES OF PhD IN PHARMACY FROM CANADA:
- Canada is a well-developed country with its numerous resources and innovative technology giving students the required exposure in the field of Pharmaceutical Sciences.
- Universities are equipped with excellent laboratory facilities to ensure smooth research and their tie-ups with various research institutes all over the country opens avenues of opportunities for the students training in this field.
- Excellent board of professors have been put together to impart the necessary training to these students perfecting them in their area of interest.
- Student exchange programs allow the candidates to get a worldly exposure accustoming them to Pharmaceutical technologies used in various countries.
- PhD students are provided with a stipend during their education making it affordable. Apart from this, other sources of financial support are also available in the form of tuition fee waivers and awards.
- You are considered as an expert in your chosen field by completing a doctorate.
- Job opportunities in this field are enormous in Canada, and with a completed doctorate the starting salary itself is quite grand ensuring a high quality of life.
- Canada also proposes a rich cultural experience as a part of the educational program resulting in diversified knowledge and a broader frame of mind.
NEGATIVES OF PhD IN PHARMACY FROM CANADA:
- A Ph.D. degree takes up to 6 years for completion and can be pursued only after a Master's degree. This results in an extended education phase before landing a job.
- Doctorate studies can be very challenging and competitive demanding enormous time and dedication.
- Doctorate degrees have only a small advantage over other degrees. The pay-scale does not depend only on the educational background but also mostly on work experience so don't be surprised if an M.Sc in Pharmacy candidate with tremendous professional experience gets paid more than a Ph.D. in Pharmacy fresher.
See : Job prospects in Canada with Pharmacy degree
A Ph.D. in Pharmacy is an excellent way of being in the center of a pharmaceutical field, but it is not mandatory. Whether to get a Ph.D. or not depends on your individual mindset and your reasons for the same.