>> Tests & Exam
TOEFL (Test of English as Foreign Language)
What is TOEFL
TOEFL is an exam required by most US and Canadian university to prove proficiency(especially international students coming from countries where English is not native language) in English. It measures your listening, reading, speaking and writing skills to perform academic tasks in English. Many Universities in Europe and other countries also accept TOEFL (IELTS is popular outside USA). Popularity of TOEFL is growing.
There are two formats for the TOEFL test. The format you take depends on the location of your test center. Most test takers take the TOEFL iBT test. Test centers that do not have Internet access offer the Paper-based Test (PBT).
TOEFL Test centers
TOEFL cost ranges from US$160 to US$250
TOEFL Test (iBT) Structure
|Section|| Time Limit|| Questions|| Tasks||Score|
|Reading*|| 60-80 minutes|| 36-56 questions || Read 3 or 4 passages from academic texts and answer questions.||0-30|
|Listening|| 60-90 minutes ||34-51 questions|| Listen to lectures, classroom discussions and conversations, then answer questions.||0-30|
|Break 10 minutes|
|Speaking|| 20 minutes ||6 tasks|| Express an opinion on a familiar topic; speak based on reading and listening tasks.||0-30|
|Writing || 50 minutes|| 2 tasks|| Write essay responses based on reading and listening tasks; support an opinion in writing.||0-30|
Each section of TOEFL has a max score of 30; total max score is 120. Most universities require TOEFL score ranging from 80-100. Scores will be posted online within two weeks of the test date. You can view score online at ets.org (yes you will have to create a login id). On test day, you can select up to four institutions to send your score for free. You can send your scores to as many institutions as you choose for a fee of US$17 per report. Scores are mailed approximately four to seven days after receipt of your request and payment.
TOEFL Sample Tests
TOEFL Sample Test 1
TOEFL Sample Test 2
TOEFL Sample Test 3
TOEFL Practice Test 4
TOEFL Practice Test 5
- TOEFL score is valid for two years.
- You can take TOEFL once a month.
- Your responses are scored holistically on a scale of 0 to 5. The average score on the two tasks is converted to a scaled score of 0 to 30.
- TOEFL may not be required by students from countries where native language is English.
- You are given the option of canceling your scores at the end of your test session
- Yes, you can reinstate your scores if your request is received at ETS within 10 days of your test date, for a fee of US$20.
- TOEFL Departmental code list https://www.ets.org/s/toefl/pdf/dept_code_list.pdf
- TOEFL Institution/University code can be searched from http://www.toeflgoanywhere.org/search-who-accepts-toefl