Student visa - Germany

All persons who wish to study at a high school, college or university in Germany are required to obtain a residence permit.

A visa is necessary under the immigration laws there; Citizens of the United States of America, Australia, Canada, Israel, Japan, New Zealand, Switzerland, as well as EU citizens may apply for their residence permit after entering Germany without a visa. All visas are not the same. A tourist visa cannot be converted into a student visa, and as a tourist, you are not eligible to study in Germany.

The visa must be issued before you can enter the country; you should, therefore, apply for it in good time. The responsible body is the German Embassy or Consulate General in your country, which can also provide you with further information.

Three Types of Visa for International Students

Documents Required for German student visa

-- A valid passport
-- Passport size photos
-- Entitlement to university admission, as recognized in Germany (usually a high school diploma or graduation examination certificate)
-- Evidence of previous academic performance
-- Proof that complete financial support for one year is guaranteed
-- health insurance coverage

The visa application is submitted at the German embassy or the German Consulate in your country of residence.Try to submit it as early as possible. German embassy or consulate personnel can provide further information.

Student visa




Australia/New Zealand


Asian Countries