Study in Singapore
Studying internationally can seem like a daunting situation for any student. Moving abroad, either for short or long term, requires extensive research and planning to prepare for living accommodations, programs of study, expenses and other necessary features.
Singapore is one of the world's leaders in higher education thanks to its excellent school system, brilliant professors, emphasis on research, and world-class infrastructure. Because of the presence of people from all parts of the globe, Singapore is a blend of eastern and western culture; so no matter your background, you will fit in.
The first steps to studying in Singapore require locating appropriate schools with desired programs for the student's study path. Throughout international rankings, Singapore is highly regarded for its education programs. There is a total of six universities in the country, two of which are ranked within the top 50 international list, each providing the opportunity to study for an undergraduate degree or to continue with a degree program from another location for a short term study. Entry into each school varies depending on the university and whether a student is entering the first year, as a transfer or studying abroad for short term.
Why Study in Singapore?
The many positives of studying in the country can be classified under three major titles:
Quality of Education:
That the country offers high-quality education is proven by the following:
- Though Singapore is located within the borders of Asia, prospective students should never worry about a language barrier barring them from any activities or learning experiences. Many languages are spoken, but English is the most commonly used, specifically for travelers and official purposes. Very rarely will students come across a translation challenge.
- Excellent Universities: Some universities from Singapore have high rankings in the latest World University Rankings published by QS. Universities such as National University of Singapore (NUS), Nanyang Technological University (NTU), and Singapore Management University are among the best in the world; few universities can rival them regarding the quality of education.
- Emphasis on Research: Like the best universities in the world, universities in Singapore place a very high emphasis on research in the undergraduate and graduate levels. From the beginning, you will be encouraged to join one of the many world-leading labs to learn from the best in the field.
- Tie Ups With the Best: Universities from Singapore offer many courses jointly with other premier universities such as Johns Hopkins, Yale, MIT, Yale, and Imperial College London. So after your graduation, you will receive a joint degree (not a bad thing to show on your resume).
- Tuition: When compared to other destinations for an excellent higher education like the United States and the United Kingdom, the tuition charges in Singapore Universities are very reasonable. While tuition is comparatively low, the quality of education is equal to the best.
Quality of Life:
Unlike most developed countries, the quality of life for students (even those on a tight budget) is very high. Some of the positives are:
- Cheap Food: Getting a wholesome meal which will satisfy you completely is very, very easy. There are many canteens and small eateries in the city which offer food at very reasonable rates (2$- 3$ for a complete meal). The best part, however, is that you will find something to suit your taste no matter which part of the globe you are from. From Chinese to Italian to Indian, most of the major cuisines of the world can be found. So wasting your time by cooking yourself can be avoided completely.
- Housing: Housing is available both on the campus and off-campus. While on-campus housing will allow you to interact with the local students, lower your traveling time, at times it is costlier than off campus housing. If you want to save some money, look for off-campus housing near the area of your university (many are easily found).
- Travel: Singapore as a city is extremely well connected, so traveling from any part of the city to another is very simple. While taxis are costly, the local bus and monorail present will allow you to move with ease and convenience since frequency is very high. Most universities also offer bus services during the mornings and evenings for students from major localities. As with any city, students should be aware of their surroundings and valuables; though Singapore is one of the safest cities in the world (with a very low crime rate), students should still take measures to maintain personal safety when traveling. Transportation is readily available and highly recommended in Singapore
- Local Attractions and Activities: From amusement parks to malls to places of natural beauty, the number of things available to pass the time as a student are quite high.
The visa rules in the country are quite lenient (when compared to other countries) so getting a visa is easier. Additionally thanks to its growing economy, you will find jobs of all types, jobs which will pay you a lot. Most universities have admission committees which will help you to locate a job.
If you are considering higher studies, do think about Singapore also. With its excellent value for money universities, great quality of life, Singapore offers the best in all aspects of life for a student.