Last Updated: November 28, 2023
Best ACT Prep Apps
Candidates who are interested in clearing the ACT exam will be required to prepare extensively in order to crack the test. While most students will opt for learning from prep books, students who have been familiarized with online classes and using social media apps might find it more convenient to prep from ACT apps. These apps can be considered to be good substitutes for prep books as long as the student will stick to the app and its content without getting distracted.
Even if candidates are preparing for the test using the best prep books, installing ACT prep apps will be beneficial in letting them carry the test materials wherever they go. Students will be able to learn for the exam in an interactive manner that can seem less stressful than cramming from heavy books.
Why Choose an ACT Prep App?
ACT prep apps are an alternative that is gaining popularity among test takers who want an interactive way to prep for the test. The main reason why test-takers choose prep apps is due to the lack of heavy prep books they have to lug around until they clear the exam. While a prep book will help the student remain focused and provide fewer chances for distraction, a prep app can be both enjoyable and easily portable irrespective of where the candidate is at. They will be able to prep for the examination wherever they are as long as they have their phone or tablet.
Most of the ACT prep apps provide features like-
- realistic practice questions
- interactive explanations
- detailed content instruction
- detailed test format
Top 7 ACT Prep Apps
A few of the best ACT prep apps include-
1 Magoosh ACT Flashcards
This app by Magoosh offers flashcards that candidates can learn from for the different sections of the test. The only section that does not have flashcards dedicated to it is the Reading section. Students will be able to access the flashcards through an iPhone, Android, or the web from anywhere, they are and learn on the go rather than make flashcards themselves. The three stages that every card has in the app are Learning, Reviewing, and Mastered which indicates where the candidate stands in their knowledge for the exam.
The size of the app is 9.2 MB and the current rating for it is 4.6. The features offered include-
- there are 216 flashcards for the subjects of English, Mathematics, and Science that students can access free of cost.
- upon paying a nominal fee, they will be able to access the premium version of the program and access 700 flashcards.
- students will also be able to make use of the video lessons and articles regarding study tips that can be of immense help.
- students will be able to sync their learning progress across devices making it more convenient for them.
2 Khan Academy
The nonprofit Khan Academy was founded with the goal of providing everyone, everywhere, access to a top-notch education for free. Students can study math (arithmetic, pre-algebra, algebra, geometry, trigonometry, statistics, calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra) with the help of professionally produced videos, interactive exercises, and in-depth articles. The app is available on both iOS and Android. The features of the app are:
- students have access to thousands of interactive exercises, videos, and articles.
- students can practice tests, quizzes, and exercises with real-time feedback and detailed instructions. Students have the option of practicing at their own pace or following along with what they are learning in class.
- students can view videos without an internet connection by bookmarking and downloading their preferred content.
- the students' performance is immediately evaluated by their mastery system, which also suggests specific skills and videosÂ to try next.
3 Varsity Tutorsâ€™ ACT App
This app is a comprehensive package of what a student requires for ACT prep. The app provides online learning tools and even flashcards from which students will be able to comfortably learn. It focuses on making students understand the content and format of the test along with the test-taking strategies that can benefit the student.
The features provided in the app include-
- the app contains different full-length practice tests.
- students will be able to choose from the separate sections provided for English, Reading, Mathematics, and Sciences.
- the questions provided have the exact format chosen by the official test.
- students will be able to access flashcards through the app for subjects like reading, writing, Earth Science, Physics, etc.
- the flashcards that are provided can be in the form of audio, video, or text based on what the student is comfortable with.
- students will be able to customize the flashcards according to their wishes.
- the app contains diagnostic tests for every section.
4 ACT: Practice, Prep, Flashcards
This app is also provided by the Varsity Tutors and has a rating of 4.8. The size of the app is just 17 MB and the subjects that are covered in the app include English, Mathematics, Science, Reading, and Writing. The features in the app include-
- there are full-length practice tests included in the app.
- students will be able to access the flashcards for every individual subject.
- the flashcards are provided according to subjects like chemistry, trigonometry, biology, grammatical errors, etc.
- there is a Learn by Concept feature that students can use to take practice questions for every individual concept separately.
5 ACT Prep for Dummies
This app is free and focuses on oneâ€™s weak areas so they can improve their scores. It covers all subject areas like English, Mathematics, Science, and Reading Comprehension. Along with content and format knowledge, students will also be able to learn about test-taking strategies for the examination which is not so common among prep apps. The size of the app is 97 MB, and it is compatible with iPhones, iPads, and iPod touch. It contains in-app purchases.
A few of the features include-
The cost of the app is $4.99 if candidates are buying from Google Play, and it is free for candidates using Apple Store in the beginning. Students will have to purchase the premium content they offer eventually which will depend on the feature they are requesting for.
- students can access over 950 practice questions.
- provides full-length practice tests.
- provides details for test-taking strategies that students can learn from.
6 PerfectPrep - ACT & SAT Prep
With no stress or pressure, students can now learn and practice at their own pace and still achieve excellent results. It's all in one app, all the content studentsÂ need. In addition to receiving a study schedule specifically designed for them, students get to choose the date of their exam. Along with tracking their progress, students can maintain their motivation and ace the ACT or SAT. The size of the app is 128 MB and requires iOS 13 or later to use. Other features of the app are:
The following are the app's subscription prices:
- students can get practice in settings that mimic the actual SAT and ACTs. They can estimate their expected score and check their knowledge within time constraints.
- check right answers quickly and easily with thorough explanations, eliminating the need to turn to the back of a practice book.
- to ensure that students finish the appropriate number of questions and get some quick study time, flip and swipe the cards to quickly review SAT/ACT concepts without having to go through the entire test.
- students can get help with test preparation and increase their knowledge by watching ACT and SAT video tutorials.
- Students can also study the topics they need to review in order to improve their scores and receive a prediction of their ACT score based on how well they pass practice exams.
- PerfectPrep Premium 1 Month-$9.99
- PerfectPrep Premium 6 Months- $39.99
- PerfectPrep Premium 1 Week- $4.99
7 ACT Online Prep
This mobile app is provided by the official non-profit organization that conducts the exam. Students who download this app will be able to access the entirety of the program through their mobile app and use it in a flexible manner that suits their chosen learning path. Most of the content for the exam is taught through engaging games that students will be able to play with other students. These games will help them understand where they stand with respect to other test takers.
The features included with the prep app are-
Students will be able to purchase this online prep for $40. It is considered to be equal to two prep books and has the added benefit of being the official app that one can invest in.
- students will be able to access 2 full-length tests to familiarize themselves with the ACT format.
- students will be able to access additional practice questions.
- students will be able to take diagnostic tests.
- there are gaming features that allow students to compete with friends.
- they will be able to track their learning progress at both individual and aggregate levels.
- students will be able to track the time they have spent on the app.
- the app contains a classroom within which teachers can assign work for students to enhance their learning.
- the teachers will also be able to recognize the areas in which the class needs help.
Are ACT Prep Apps Enough?
While ACT prep apps are gaining popularity among new students, the apps cannot entirely be considered to be at the peak of their performance. The idea of creating an app for test prep is still at the beginning stages of execution and hence has a few drawbacks that test takers must consider before relying entirely on the app for preparation.
Most of the best ACT apps lack enough practice questions. This does not imply that the apps do not provide practice questions. Students will often have to incessantly practice as part of their prep routine to get the score they desire, and the apps might not be the best place to find materials for the same. The apps are also not set to meet the skill levels of the candidate and provide customized learning for the candidate. This can be a setback for candidates who wish to focus on certain aspects of their prep more than others.