MBA from Canada
Canada is one of the top destinations in the world for both international and domestic MBA students likewise. There are more than one hundred seventy five Technical Institutes and Colleges and about 92 universities featuring a range of professional, vocational programs and academic courses in MBA in Canada. The MBA based programs here in Canada are substantially affordable than pursuing the same degree in the United States. The cost of residence and tuition fees on an average, in America, for some of the top MBA schools in America is nearly $80,000 when compared with $60,000 for doing the same course in Canada.
The following are some of the courses in MBA which you can pursue when studying in Canada:
- Accounting and Finance
- CMA and MBA
- Agriculture and Forestry
- Health and Medical MBA
- Executive MBA
- Human Resources MBA
- Hospitality and Tourism MBA
- International MBA
- Master of Management
- Master of Business Administration
- Master of Public Administration
- MBA and Law
- Master of Science in Management
- Part-time MBA
- Natural Resources and Energy MBA
- PhD in Management
- PhD in Business Administration
- Science and Technology MBA
- Public and Service Management MBA
MBA Canada courses vary in their duration period - anywhere between ten months and two years. These MBA related programs in Canada come under 3 categories that include the specialized, combined and the generalized streams.
To be able to pursue a degree in MBA in Canada, the student must possess a four-year degree (undergraduate), work experience, GMAT score and for all those international students whose main education language isn't English, a proficiency test in English like the IELTS/TOEFL or likewise would be necessary. Each school lays down the admission specifics criteria and other required prerequisites. Most of the Canadian business schools need a minimum GPA between 3.0 and 3.5 or higher than 70% to get an admission in any MBA based program.
Top Universities/Colleges for MBA in Canada
TUITION FEE (Canadian Dollars)
- Richard Ivey School of Business, (University of Western Ontario)
- McGill Faculty of Management, Montreal, Quebec
- The Schulich School of Business, at (York University) in Toronto
- Queen's School of Business, (Queen's University), Kingston in Ontario
- Sauder School of Business, (University of British Columbia) at Vancouver
- Simon Fraser University, Faculty of Business Administration, Burnaby at British Columbia
- University of New Brunswick MBA at Saint John
- The University of Calgary, at the Haskayne School of Business in Alberta
- Michael G. DeGroote School of Business, (McMaster University) in Ontario
- The Faculty of Business, (University of Victoria)at B.C
The fee for tuition ranges from Canadian $10,000 every year to nearly $25,000 each year. For some of the top schools, the fee even goes up to Canadian $ 35,000 - this is for the whole program.
The expense for a living in Canada ranges from Canadian $7,200 to 11,000 each year. These get even higher if you live in big cities such as Vancouver,Toronto and Montreal.
However, for different people, the expenses are different as it also depends upon one's lifestyle and various other things. The major expenses could be divided as follows:
Groceries: Between $150 and $200/each month
Books and other Supplies: $1000/year
Utilities and Sundry: $300/each month
Job Opportunities for MBA's in Canada
Major Job opportunity categories for degree holders of MBA in Canada are:
Scholarships and Financial Aid
- Legal jobs
- Consultancy and accounting jobs
- Academic teaching openings for all health related professions
- Management, consultant jobs and senior executive openings in leading companies
- Management jobs
- Canadian Government jobs
- Academic jobs
- Management jobs in periodicals, publications, print and electronic media
Highest demand for degree holders of MBA in Canada are for the jobs in the below categories:
- Product Management
- Project Management
- Sales Management
- Sales professionals
- Executive Management
- Technical Management
The financial assistance for pursuing a MBA degree in Canada is very limited for the international students especially. Some schools however might offer scholarships to students on the basis of academic merit, for foreign applicants/students specifically. A part waiver in tuition fee by an MBA institute most commonly is the aid awarded to students and students who receive these aids normally have great academic achievements and backgrounds or top scores in GMAT or both of them. However, a lot of people do apply for such awards and thus the scholarships don't cover the whole study cost.
If you're an MBA degree holder in Canada, then you can get a salary of about $80,000 in Canada. There are some specific requirements in jobs however which would affect the prospects of your salary like:
- The total experience you have
- Holding on to a job for a longer period of time (being stable) rather than jumping jobs
- The institute's reputation where you passed from
- The industry/field you're searching the job in
- Demand/supply of the jobs you're looking out for
- Your employer's location
Reports from surveys have stated that nearly 95% students who pass out with MBA degree secure a job under six months of graduating. The people that specialize in fields like entrepreneurship, international business or management are especially seen to be more successful comparatively. Some of the top Canadian MBA programs follow a structured program module for achieving this objective. There also are opportunities for diversifying your career as well as taking part in work on a co-operative basis with the private and public firms. Reasons for elaboration and expansion of overall opportunities for graduates of MBA in Canada are in fact a part of the country's growing economy. Graduates of Business administration with a strong background of industrial and academic expertise prove themselves to be very valuable and worthy for the firms they get engaged in, in Canada.
MBA at Alberta School of Business
It is one of the 100 best MBA school globally and top 10 in Canada.
Following things are important to get admission in Alberta School of business.
- GMAT should be > 550
- GPA > 3.0
- Two + years of work experience
- Proficiency in English (TOEFL/IELTS)
- The average GPA for a typical entering class is 3.3/4.0.
- Admission rate is ~40%.
- Average GMAT of students who got admitted is around 620.
- Average years of work experience : 6
- Average Salary : 72,500
- Around 35% of entering class is from Asia and 55% from North America.
Most important decision factors for admission are GPA, GMAT, and years of work experience and also the quality of the statement of intent, references, academic background, work and extracurricular experiences
Total tuition fees (for entire MBA) for residents is be around $25,000 and $50,000 for non residents.
Alberta Business school is located in Edmonton, Alberta ..nice place with a population of around one million and it's one of the largest City of Canada.
Overall it's a decent program and nice University. Most of the students get employment within Canada. There is a fair chance that you might get some type of funding. Studying in Canada always have the advantage of immigration (Getting residence permit is much easier if you complete higher education in Canada.. you earn extra points for it!).