Scholarships for international students in Canada
All students who want to have a successful career can study in Canada without worrying about the cost of education. Besides imparting international level quality education, Canadian universities and educational institutions offer scholarships to international students to support for their cost of education.
Scholarships are one way to finance your studies in Canada. Scholarships are a form of financial awards given to exceptional talents for exhibiting outstanding performance and to motivate them for further studies. Students do not have to repay this financial support as it is a reward for their academic achievement.
Who offers scholarships?
Scholarships can be awarded by Universities and educational institutions. Besides them, Canadian Government, Provincial Government and several non-governmental (private and non-profit) organizations also offer numerous scholarship programs for international students.
Eligible courses and candidates for scholarship
The courses that can be pursued by seeking scholarship and the extent of scholarship in each course vary from one university to another so it can be checked online with a specific course in particular university. Else, exact detail can be easily worked out in coordination with financial aid office of the university in which you hope to take the admission.
Scholarships can be applied for all levels of education like secondary, undergraduate, graduate and postgraduate. Even few certificate and diploma courses also offer scholarships for international students. These applied scholarships are usually based on an entrance test. Depending on the result you will be eligible for one of the two types of scholarships viz. full tuition fee or partial tuition fee. Seeking scholarship is a competitive task, but brilliant students have a good scope. Scholarships grant may vary from $1,000 to $1,00,00 depending on the university offering it, the course under consideration, its duration and academic record of the student.
Few scholarships (usually with high amount) may be taxable, but most of them are non-taxable. It is important to precisely read scholarship details before applying for one. Additionally, each scholarship program caters to different disciplines. Students must check which scholarships are available for their discipline and which universities are participating in that program. It is preferred to do this check before completing admission procedure in any university so that you can consider the university for your desired course keeping scholarship factor in mind if financial support is expected. Also, ensuring your eligibility for any scholarship program is advisable considering factors like Canadian residency, non-residency, age, type of course, etc.
How to apply for scholarships?
As far as University scholarships are concerned, students may apply for scholarships directly to their university. You can coordinate with the concerned department at the University. They will not only guide you about the various scholarships available inside and outside the university, but also they will also explain you the procedure of applying for scholarship, eligibility and selection criteria for each scholarship. They may help you apply for the scholarship best suitable for you.
Whereas for outside scholarships, students can either directly apply to some scholarship programs or some programs take student’s application via a Canadian institution.
This application process can be initiated only once the student is enrolled completely in the course he is pursuing. You may have to submit a letter of recommendation from your college/teacher, your statement and your academic record (mark-sheet / grades/transcript) with your scholarship application. For some scholarships, you may have to appear for an interview instead of entrance test. Your university’s financial aid office will guide you through the exact procedure.
Some Scholarship Programs
Here we have listed few scholarship programs for reference of international students coming to Canada for pursuing higher studies
- Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship Program: This program promotes admissions in Health / Natural Sciences / Engineering / Humanities / Social Sciences Research courses. The university / educational institution in which you are seeking admission will help you apply for this program. A student may get up to $ 50,000 per year for three years under this program for pursuing their doctoral studies. The candidate must have a pro-active research potential in addition to the excellent academic record.
- Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships Similar to the above-mentioned scholarship program, research fellows in the field of Health / Natural Sciences / Engineering / Humanities / Social Sciences are eligible for this fellowship program while pursuing their research at a Canadian Institution.
- Ontario Graduate Scholarship Program This scholarship is primarily for MBA students and doctoral level studies. Many top universities in Ontario offer this program. Similar to other several other scholarship programs, this program is also merit-based.
- IDRC Research Awards There is no competitive exam for this award. Usually, it is granted on the basis of academic record (preferably Master's, Ph.D. or Post-Doctoral Degree), skills and experience. This program aims at inviting qualified candidates from developing countries to work on research programs with IDRC staff.
- Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship Program This program provides a basic fund to students to meet initial living expenses in Canada for first few months. The grant may go up to $ 10,000.
- Quebec Merit Scholarship, Anne Vallee Ecological Fund, Trudeau Scholarships and Fellowships and many other scholarship programs are in the list. Deserving candidates have many opportunities for seeking financial support for pursuing their education or research in Canada. Only care is needed to find astutely for a scholarship program in their discipline and university and apply with complete form before the deadline of the scholarship grant. Full support by your university / educational institution can be expected by international students.