Last Updated: July 14, 2022
Study in Toronto, Canada
Toronto is the largest city in Canada and it is located in the province of Ontario. It is the most populous city in the country with a reputation for being friendly to expats in general. International students who wish to enroll in universities here will find that there are 4 publicly-funded universities here along with 1 private institution all of which are internationally acclaimed. The city also has 4 colleges and other educational institutions primarily focusing on research that students will be able to make use of.
Over 40% of international students who come to Canada, study or live in Toronto due to the immense possibilities the city has to offer. Being the largest city, Toronto is the center of entertainment, business, and even technology ensuring that students from all fields of study will be able to take up part-time jobs and even internships here if required. Apart from the educational and work-related opportunities, one can get here, the city also offers breath-taking views of nature that one will not be able to find elsewhere in the world. Students will always have new places to explore and different entertainment options to consider during their stay here.
Benefits of Studying in Toronto
Students who live in Toronto will be exposed to the multicultural environment here without even having to explore further. The city has over 50,000 people from around 16 countries in the world, making it easy to meet people and understand their culture and heritage. Known for being a friendly city, students will be able to make friends and mingle with the locals even if they are new to the place. A few other benefits include-
- Toronto offers job opportunities of different kinds to students from all fields of study. While those who are educationally qualified will be able to find internships and high-paying jobs, those who have only started with their higher studies will always be able to find work in the service industry. Students who have a study permit that allows them to work off-campus will be able to work for 20 hours a week. Others will always have on-campus employment opportunities to look forward to.
- The city has 4 publicly-funded universities along with 4 other publicly funded colleges that one can study in. It also has other educational institutions and research centers relating to different fields of study that students can choose from. All of these institutions offer quality education with the public universities also being internationally well-acclaimed.
- Toronto offers plenty of housing options for students that can suit any budget. They will be able to stay in university residences, shared apartments, and even with host families depending on their lifestyle.
- Due to the stable economic growth the city has had for a while, students who have completed their education here will easily be able to find employment opportunities and settle in the city without the hassle of moving places.
Places to Stay in Toronto
Being the home to over 8 publicly-funded educational institutions, Toronto has a diverse population of students coming from all over the world. These students either opt for university housing or shared/rented apartments depending on their budget and lifestyle. Since on-campus housing is relatively expensive, students often opt to live in rented spaces right outside the university. There are student localities near every university where housing is cheap and affordable for a student's budget. These places also have the best affordable entertainment options.
Since Toronto is a large city, students will mostly have their educational institutions in downtown, Scarborough, North End, Etobicoke, etc. Each of these places has plenty of housing options.
- York University Heights, North End- This place is close to the Keele campus of York University and hence is a popular student locality. The neighborhood is full of students from different parts of the world and though it has limited public transport options, students will not require them for reaching campus due to the proximity.
- Dufferin Grove, Downtown- This area is known for affordable housing options that are easy on a student budget. The place is also best for the entertainment options it has. The entertainment options here include summer music festivals, live theatre, etc. that students can enjoy.
- The Annex, West End- This place has been the home to students and staff from the University of Toronto. It is no longer a student-only neighborhood due to the recent developments that the place has had but nevertheless, the place offers average accommodation rates and plenty of entertainment options.
Cost of Living in Toronto
The cost of living in Toronto is considered to be expensive when compared to other parts of the country since it is an entertainment hub and one of the “coolest” places in the country for students to be. But at the same time, the quality of living that the place has to offer is stellar which is one of the reasons international students and young employees choose the place. The living expenses that one can have is dependent on the area in which one is living in with the Downtown area being one of the most expensive places in the city. Most of the other expenses that students can have will be dependent on their lifestyle and the way they budget their living.
The average cost of living in the city is estimated to be around C$ 1,300 without rent.
The prices for basic grocery items in the city are-
- Milk- C$3 per liter
- Cheese- C$17 per kg
- Apples- C$4 per kg
- Potatoes- C$3 per kg
- Tomatoes- C$4 per kg
- Onions- C$3 per kg
- Wine- C$15 per bottle
Accommodation and Utility Expenses
Students who live in Toronto will have the option of choosing between on-campus and off-campus housing options. Most often, students choose off-campus housing since it is relatively cheaper and because part-time work opportunities will be more accessible with off-campus housing. The accommodation expenses one will have is dependent on the locality in which they are living and the lifestyle they have chosen for themselves. Those who opt for shared apartments will be able to save a lot of money but students will also be able to take studio apartments if they wish to live alone.
The average cost of rent ranges from C$1,800 to C$2,100 per month depending on how far the place is from the city center. Utility expenses in the city generally don’t exceed over C$170 per month.
Public transportation is the easiest and cheapest way for people to get around the city. The public transportation here is known as the Toronto Transit and it includes the subway, streetcars, and buses. Students will be able to take a daily or weekly pass and enjoy unlimited rides on all public transport. The price for a single ride on all public transport is C$3.25 or students will be able to take a day pass for C$12.50 or a week pass for C$43.75 depending on how often they travel.
Students will also be able to opt for the bike-share program in Toronto called Bike Share Toronto which has over 3,000 bikes connecting around 300 stations. A day passes for bike-sharing costs around C$7.
Recommended Universities in Toronto
Toronto is home to plenty of well-acclaimed universities and colleges. The details regarding a few of them include-
|University of Toronto||C$55,000-C$69,000|
|York University||C$30,000-C$32,000 per year|
|Toronto Metropolitan University||C$25,000-C$28,000 per year|
|OCAD University||C$24,000 per year|
University of Toronto
This university was established in the year 1827 and is a research university that offers educational programs at the undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral levels. It has a student population of around 64,000 along with over 3,200 academic staff. The faculties offered here include arts & sciences, applied science & engineering, architecture, music, information technology, medicine, nursing, dentistry, etc.
The cost of studying here for international students ranges from C$55,000 to C$69,000 based on the level of study and the program one has chosen.
This university was established in the year 1959 and is considered to be the fourth-largest university in the country. It has a student population of around 55,000 along with over 7,000 administrative staff. It has faculties for film studies, environmental studies, law, etc. along with research centers for atmospheric chemistry, biomolecular interactions, and earth & space science.
The cost of studying at York University for international students ranges from C$30,000 to C$32,000 per year depending on the program.
Toronto Metropolitan University/Ryerson University
This university was established in the year 1948 as the Ryerson Institute of Technology and is a public research university. It has a student population of around 47,000. It has programs for midwifery, nursing, performing arts, engineering, criminology, architectural science, etc.
The fee range for international students at this university is estimated to be between C$25,000 to C$28,000 per year.
This university is also known as the Ontario College of Art and Design University. It was established in the year 1876 and has a student population of around 6,000 along with over 200 academic staff. The three faculties of this university are arts, design, and arts & sciences. The programs offered here include environmental design, life studies, advertising, graphic design, illustration, etc.
The average fee for international students here is around C$24,000 per year depending on the program of choice.
Entertainment Options in Toronto
Being the “coolest” city in the country, Toronto offers plenty of entertainment options for all kinds of people. There are parks, gardens, and other destinations for those who wish to spend the day outdoors. There are innumerable cafes and other quiet eating places for those who wish to read or study in peace. The place also has its share of festivals and other cultural events that one can attend to understand the country better. A few of the must-see and must-do things in the city include-
Places to Visit in Toronto
Toronto has different museums, aquariums, parks, and other places of importance that one can visit. From getting a scenic view of the city from the top of the CN Tower to exploring the beaches and parks, the place has so much to offer especially to the students that live here. A few of the must-see places in this city include-
- Royal Ontario Museum- This is one of the best museums in Ontario offering privately held and other exhibitions. The place is also a field-research institution now from where students will be able to learn about world culture. The place has over 6,000,000 items spread across 40 galleries.
- Art Gallery of Ontario- This is one of the largest art museums in the country with different exhibitions held by private artists from time to time. Students will be able to look up the exhibitions for the month and visit the place accordingly.
- Ripley’s Aquarium of Canada- This aquarium is located in the downtown area and is home to over 20,000 marine specimens from over 450 different species. Students will be able to go through the underwater tunnel that has a moving sidewalk and even watch the jellyfish, stingrays, and sharks during their visit.
Things to Do in Toronto
Toronto offers a multitude of options for people who wish to try new things in the city. The things that one can do in the city will be dependent on the climate. In winter, students will be able to visit the different indoor places and do the activities that these places have to offer. In summers, they will be able to travel further and visit the beaches and parks that the city has. A few of the must-do things in the city include-
- Explore St. Lawrence Market- This market is one of the most popular places for shopping for anything from flowers to specialty antique items. Students will be able to explore the variety of cuisines offered here along with the souvenir shops and other places.
- Go to the Toronto Zoo- Students who love animals will be able to visit the Toronto Zoo and see the 5,000 different animals that live at this place. They will also be able to visit diverse locations like the Gorilla Rainforest, Tundra Trek, and the Great Barrier Reef all of which are part of the zoo with each part housing animals from these regions.
- Visit Toronto Islands- In summers, students will be able to take a ferry to the Toronto Islands which are a group of 15 small islands. They will be able to explore the different beaches and even take their bikes along with them on the ferry to view the places by themselves as a weekend activity.