Last Updated: June 08, 2021
Tips to Score a 700 in GMAT
GMAT is a standardized test taken by students who wish to enroll in business schools and management courses. The importance of the GMAT score report in procuring admission for these courses makes the overall competition for scoring better a real concern for students. Though the score range for GMAT is between 200 and 800, getting a score below 600 can ruin the chances of entering a decent school. An ideal score to enroll in the topmost colleges would be above 700.
Scoring greater than 700 in GMAT exams can be challenging. However, this can be done at the cost of some hard work and dedication put in by the candidates appearing for the GMAT exam. Students who have adopted methods like self-study, online courses, and private tutoring have all been able to manage this score through only dedication and hard work that is removed from the method they opt to prepare for the exam.
There can be a tendency to rigorously go after books and other available content that is then forcefully crammed by candidates for the examination. But it is recommended that candidates methodically approach the test with a proper goal so as to not overwhelm themselves in the process.
Approaching the GMAT
The first step that candidates have to take is to take a full-length test as a diagnostic test and complete it within the stipulated time for the test-taking only the required amount of time. Once the test is complete, irrespective of the fact whether the candidate could complete the test on time or not, they will have to go through their answers and evaluate them to calculate the score they would have received.
This score can be considered to be the base score
of the candidate. Once the base score has been established, the candidate should estimate a target score
that is achievable. In order to calculate the target score, the candidate will have to understand the GMAT testing algorithm and also take into consideration the score requirements of the schools they plan to apply to.
Understanding the Format of GMAT
The test sections involved in GMAT are Analytical Writing Assessment, Integrated Reasoning, Verbal Reasoning, and Quantitative Reasoning. Most candidates focus on both Quantitative Reasoning and Verbal Reasoning in order to increase their scores above 700. One way to achieve the target score would be to focus on weaknesses and strengthening those aspects. But once the basics have been covered in the weak sections, it is recommended that students focus on improving their strengths so that they can achieve more with lesser effort.
The format for the exam is as follows-
|Analytical Writing Assessment||30 minutes||0-6|
|Integrated Reasoning||30 minutes||1-8|
|Verbal Reasoning||65 minutes||6-51|
|Quantitative Reasoning||62 minutes||6-51|
Personalize the Study Plan
Once the candidate has the target score and has understood the format of the exam in detail, they will be able to create a study plan for themselves. The study plan needn’t include only hours of study and should never be void of breaks and other activities that can refresh the mind. It is recommended that students should take a 10-minute break for every hour of study and have at least a few hours in a day where they engage in recreational activities that can help them focus on studying when they get back to it.
Most online courses that students enroll in for the test offer to provide personalized study plans for the students. But even in such cases, the candidate can always choose to alter the plans to their convenience as long as they can stick to them. Candidates should never set unrealistic timetables and should be well aware of their capacity for learning. Planning accordingly can always help the candidate stick to the preparatory mode they have chosen leading them to study better and ultimately score better.
For a score above 700, students generally study for over 12 hours in a week which is roughly a little over an hour every day. But instead of studying a little every day, they could even spend 4 days a week spending 3 hours a day focusing on both the Quantitative and Verbal Reasoning sections alternatively until they can tackle full-length question papers one after the other into perfection.
Other Tips to Score more than 700+ in GMAT
Apart from the above-mentioned basic steps to crack GMAT, candidates must ideally have an action plan to tackle GMAT. The following tips can be applied to the method they prepare so that they can achieve the desired result within a short time of preparation.
It is advisable to include a few of the following tips while preparing for the test.’
- 1. Become Aware of the Question Pattern: Before taking the GMAT exam, it is imperative for the students to understand the question pattern of the exam in a detailed manner. Being aware of the exact pattern of the examination will help them prepare in advance for the exam in a way that will guarantee a remarkable score.
- 2. Pay Attention to the Quantitative Section: Many students dread the thought of Mathematical problems and Statistics. The syllabus included for this section includes number properties, algebra, word problems, geometry, and other advanced problems. Candidates need to hone their analytical skills necessary for the GMAT exam by solving mathematical and statistical problems.
- 3. Focus on the Verbal Section:The Verbal Reasoning section includes topics like sentence correction, critical reasoning, and reading comprehension all of which focus on the proficiency the candidate has in the English language. It is important to work on one’s language if=n order to achieve a high score in the section. If the candidate is weak in the subject they will have to make use of grammar-related materials and constantly practice with different reading comprehension exercises until they get better at it. A high verbal score is one of the ways in which the candidate will easily score above 700 in the test. At the same time, scoring lower in the subject even with a high score in Quantitative Reasoning will not let them get an overall score above 700.
- 4. Make a Perfect Combination: Candidates will be able to prepare a balance between the Verbal Reasoning section and the Quantitative Reasoning section in order to achieve their ideal score. It is imperative to be adept at both fields to score a 700+ for your GMAT exam. The quantitative formulae must be learned by heart and should be regularly practiced to get a command over it. Similarly, verbal skills can be easily developed over time by reading helpful journals and literary books to enrich vocabulary.
- 5. Get the Best Study Material: The amount of study of a candidate would not matter much unless it is supplemented by suitable study materials. Hence, the students must take expert help from their teachers or online sources which would aid them in preparing well for the upcoming GMAT exam. The Best Prep Books for GMAT currently are-
- GMAT Official Guide 2021 Bundle- 1st Edition
- Manhattan Prep- All the GMAT2019
- GMAT Prep Plus 2021- Kaplan
- Mometrix- GMAT Prep Book 2021-2022
- 6. Undertake Practice Tests: Success in the GMAT exam cannot be achieved unless the students put themselves to sample tests in advance. These practice tests prepare the students by making them understand the exam pattern in a proper manner. These consist of the required sections like Quantitative Reasoning and Verbal Reasoning to make the students aware of their skills and the areas where they should give more attention to detail. The GMAT official website provides mock tests that the candidates can attempt for free which can be considered to be a great start for candidates.
- 7. Work Upon Your Weak Areas: A student cannot be perfect at all disciplines which come under the GMAT exam. A candidate might be weak in Quantitative Reasoning, while the other might lack effective verbal skills. Hence, before undertaking the GMAT exam, it is imperative for a candidate to make a rational analysis of the weaknesses so that he/she can work upon the same to overcome them and achieve success.
- 8. Opt for the best and popular Prep courses- Candidates who do not fair well by doing a self-prep may choose the online prep courses available for the same. The best online prep courses that are currently available are-
With the above tips, one needs to study regularly and devote ample time to it. The students should also keep a record of the errors they are making. This will help them improve the areas they are making the most errors.