Last Updated: November 19, 2023
5 Best Books for GMAT Focus
The Graduate Management Admission Test is a standardized test commonly used to test readiness to achieve admissions into Business, Management, and other related graduate programs. The test consists of four sections: quantitative, verbal, analytic writing, and a new integrated reasoning section. This popular and rigorous test is administered in over 110 countries.
The score range for the examination is between 200-800 and though it is enough to score above 600, the best score that can provide candidates with admission to the colleges they prefer is above 700. Achieving a score above 700 can be tough for candidates since it requires at least 12 hours of study in a week and a few months of preparation. But at the same time, having the right method of study can often make the experience better for candidates.
Beginning on January 31, 2024, the GMAT will be fully replaced with an updated version known as the GMAT Focus Edition
. Starting November 7, 2023, both the test versions will be available. GMAT Focus is divided into three sections: Data Insights, Verbal Reasoning, and Quantitative Reasoning. The GMAT Focus Edition total score range is 205-805. All three sections make up the candidate's total score.
Candidates often prepare for the exam by enrolling in an online class for GMAT, by having a private tutor, or through rigorous self-study. But while opting for any of these options, they must put themselves through the best prep books available to achieve a score above 700. This page contains a list of the best books that students choose to study based on their budget and requirements. The list is as follows-
List of Books available for GMAT Focus Edition
|GMAT Prep 2024/2025 For Dummies with Online Practice: 11th Edition||$29.95|
|All the GMAT (Manhattan Prep GMAT Strategy Guides) 8th Edition||$199.99|
|GMAT Official Guide 2023-2024 Bundle, Focus Edition: 1st Edition||$99.99|
|GMAT Official Guide Data Insights Review 2023-2024, Focus Edition: 1st Edition||$20.95|
|GMAT Official Guide Quantitative Review 2023-2024, Focus Edition: 1st Edition||$20.95|
|GMAT Official Guide Verbal Review 2023-2024, Focus Edition: 1st Edition||$20.95|
1 GMAT Prep 2024/2025 For Dummies with Online Practice: 11th Edition
September 30, 2023
This reliable guide, which has been updated for the new GMAT Focus Edition, will take readers through the fundamentals of the test and provide them with time-saving test-taking techniques. Whether they have a lot of time before an exam, readers can prepare effectively with detailed study plans. The features of the book are:
- A thorough analysis of all GMAT material, including data insights, linguistic reasoning, and quantitative reasoning, will be provided to readers.
- Readers have access to 3 comprehensive practice exams and flashcards for study.
- Readers can use a diagnostic pre-assessment to create a focused study plan.
- Students can prepare effectively by using detailed study plans.
- Along with verbal and math reviews, the book offers tips to avoid common mistakes.
2 All the GMAT (Manhattan Prep GMAT Strategy Guides) 8th Edition
May 6, 2024
The publisher of the book is Manhattan Prep. The GMAT All Quantitative and Data Insights book and the GMAT All Verbal book are both part of this All the GMAT book set. A sheet that is printed and has a special serial code that can be used once to access online resources. Problem-solving, Critical Reasoning, Reading Comprehension, Data Sufficiency, Tables and graphs, Two-Parts, Multi, Source Reasoning, Fractions, Decimals, Percents, Ratios, Statistics, Algebra, Word Puzzles, and Numerical Properties are all covered in the book and online resources. The book's study material includes:
- Sets of problems for every kind of problem.
- A special e-book with more difficult quantitative material for students trying to get a particularly high GMAT score
- A 12-week study plan that includes reading assignments, practice questions, and test-taking techniques (like time management); we'll outline what to do and when.
- Complete access to Manhattan Prep's GMAT Navigator, which offers answers to every question in the primary GMAT Official Guide book published by the test's creators.
3 GMAT Official Guide 2023-2024 Bundle, Focus Edition: 1st Edition
June 7, 2023
This official GMAT Focus Edition bundle contains the GMAT Official Guide, GMAT Verbal Review, GMAT Data Insights Review, and GMAT Quantitative Review in addition to an online question bank.
Following are some of the features of this bundle:
- This book includes chapters on Verbal and Math review as well as the new Data insights review, which helps readers grasp the most recent section of the GMAT Focus Edition.
- Exclusive access to online diagnostic tests to identify the areas of strength and focus for each student.
- Readers can plan their own practice by using the Online Question Bank to create custom practice sets based on question types and difficulty levels.
- Readers will gain an understanding of the rationale behind the responses with thorough explanations.
- In-depth explanations of the answers to help readers understand the logic behind them.
- Students will Resolve more than 1100 questions from the GMAT Focus Edition's Verbal Reasoning, Data Insights, and Quantitative Reasoning sections.
- With questions arranged from easiest to hardest in order of difficulty, students can gradually improve their performance.
- Readers can focus their study with a question index that lists practice questions according to page number, subject, and difficulty level.
- In addition to the questions from the book, students can take advantage of the 300+ additional questions that are exclusive to the online question bank.
- With thorough explanations of their answers, students will be able to seamlessly transition between devices and grasp the logic behind the solutions.
- The book will help students examine important performance indicators to identify areas of focus and monitor progress.
4 GMAT Official Guide Data Insights Review 2023-2024, Focus Edition: 1st Edition
June 7, 2023
This official guide includes a book, a mobile app, online question banks, and digital flashcards. The book covers more than 80 Data Sufficiency questions from the GMAT Focus Edition's new Data Insights section. Readers are able to learn from thorough explanations of the answers that go into great detail about how the GMAT formulates questions. With questions arranged from easiest to hardest in order of difficulty, gradually improve their performance.
Other features of this book are:
- Based on options such as question types and difficulty levels, students can create personalized practice sets.
- In addition to the questions from the book, they benefit from 120+ Multi-Source Reasoning, Table Analysis, Graphics Interpretation, and Two-Part Analysis questions (available only in the Online Question Bank).
- Students can improve their skills by using the books' 200+ additional Data Insights questions and thorough explanations of the answers.
- Answer explanations in the Data Insights Review Chapter (New Section).
- To help review concepts, readers can refer to the Data Insights Review Chapter (New Section).
- They can also acquire familiarity with the exam format and the data insights question type.
- Readers can make use of the question index, which lists practice questions according to topic areas and degree of difficulty.
5 GMAT Official Guide Quantitative Review 2023-2024, Focus Edition: 1st Edition
June 7, 2023
A book, Online Question Bank, Digital Flashcards, and Mobile App are all included in this official guide. With more than 150 questions that are not in the Official Guide, the GMAT Official Guide Quantitative Review offers concentrated practice to help candidates excel in the exam's Quantitative Reasoning portion. Other features of the book are:
- Take over 150 Problem-Solving questions from the GMAT Focus Edition's Quantitative Reasoning section.
- Readers can gain knowledge from in-depth explanations of the answers that cover every aspect of how the GMAT formulates questions.
- With questions arranged from easiest to hardest in order of difficulty, readers can gradually improve their performance. Gain an understanding of the rationale behind the responses with thorough explanations.
6 GMAT Official Guide Verbal Review 2023-2024, Focus Edition: 1st Edition
June 7, 2023
Similar to the Quantitative and Data-Insights versions of this guide, the official version comprises a book, an online question bank, digital flashcards, and a mobile app. To gain mastery over reading comprehension and critical reasoning, readers can practice with purpose by working through more than 200 additional Verbal Reasoning questions with thorough explanations provided. Some key features include:
- Over 200 practice questions are included in the book.
- Concept refreshers can be provided by the Verbal Review Chapter Answers.
- With over 200 practice questions, students can master reading comprehension and critical reasoning while also learning the exam structure.
- Make use of the question index, which lists practice questions according to topic areas and degree of difficulty.
List of Best Current GMAT Prep Books
|Mometrix-GMAT Prep Book 2021-2022||$30.99|
- Practice Tests
- Video Tutorials
- Subject Review
|GMAT Official Guide-2021 Bundle||$33.82|
- Performance Tracker
- Online Content
- Practice Tests
|Kaplan-GMAT Prep Plus 2021||$38.48|
- Practice Tests
- Quix Bank
- 1200+ Questions and Explanations
|Veritas Prep Complete GMAT Course Set-2018||$73.98|
- 1000+ Questions
- Online Question Bank
- Content Review
|Manhattan Prep-All the GMAT 2019||$165.99|
- Practice Tests
- Detailed Content Review
1 Mometrix-GMAT Prep Book 2021-2022
This book contains practice test questions along with detailed answers for each of the questions mentioned. They also offer video tutorials for students who need to understand difficult concepts related to GMAT. The book focuses on the tips and strategies that can help students crack the examination along with a complete review of the content which will let students understand when and where to apply the strategies that have been mentioned.
The book costs $30 which is a relatively cheaper rate when compared to other guides by competitors. They have split the content in the book section-wise with each section in the exam containing 4 sub-sections and more. Reviewers claim that the book has helped them in their self-study. In its price range, it is supposed to be the best prep book available for the GMAT.
- The book has practice tests with detailed answer explanations that one can learn from along with subject reviews that can refresh their knowledge about the exam content.
- The video tutorials provide candidates with the extra mentoring time that other prep books might not offer extensively.
- The book also contains chapters dealing with tips and strategies that one can use for answering questions at a better pace.
2 GMAT Official Guide 2021 Bundle: 1st Edition
This is the official book from GMAC (Graduate Management Admission Council). it contains over 1895 real GMAT practice questions along with detailed answers for each question. The book comes with an overview of the examination along with information regarding the content and format of the test. The questions in the book have been organized based on the difficulty level.
The cost of the bundle is $33 which is comparatively low considering how it includes the content for all four sections of the examination. There are over 1760 pages in them and reviewers claim to have found the book extremely beneficial while preparing for the GMAT.
- The Official Guide Bundle includes content that candidates can access online including flashcards for key concepts, practice set creations, and other concept-related information.
- Candidates will also be able to track their performance online and check if they have improved and set it to exam mode so that they can attempt like they are actually taking the test.
- The online content can be accessed even through a mobile app.
- Reviewers claim that the book they received is of lower quality with papers missing and the book falling apart after a while.
- The code for the online content is sometimes found missing even upon purchasing the book making it not worthwhile if one does not notice the same immediately and return or exchange the book.
3 GMAT Prep Plus 2021- Kaplan
This book is highly rated by reviewers and test-takers to provide authentic test preparation. Reviewers claim that people who have prepared using the book have a better chance of gaining admission to business schools by clearing the GMAT. In addition to the standard GMAT prep book, Kaplan also offers nine GMAT prep courses and other retail products.
Though the book is fragile and bound to fall apart, this does not diminish the quality of the content the book has according to them. The book is a great choice at $38 when other books with similar content charge twice the amount in general.
- The Kaplan book contains six practice tests, answer explanations with details, and integrated reasoning strategies paired with practice questions.
- There are 1200+ questions for practice.
- The book also offers access to a 200-question Quiz Bank which can be customized to the kind of practice session the candidate wants.
- The main problem stated by reviewers is the structural integrity of the book since the book stands to fall apart after a few uses.
- Apart from the diagnostic test offered in the book, the other tests are provided online which is stated to be a hassle.
- The explanations provided for the questions can be tricky to understand due to the serious typos made in the book.
4 Veritas Prep Complete GMAT Course Set-2018th Edition
This bundle of 12 books is the most comprehensive book set available for the preparation of the GMAT. The GMAT practice test they offer is adaptive. For a total of $73, they offer students a content review that has been divided according to sections and sub-sections. The cons of the book are that the book is lengthy and is not suitable for last-minute preparers.
- It contains over 1000 practice questions along with comprehensive solutions to all of the practice questions they offer.
- The book also provides access to the online Question Bank Veritas has to offer to contain questions of a higher difficulty level along with prompt feedback.
- People claim that having this set of 12 books is equal to joining a course related to GMAT and that methodically going through the content and practice sessions in the book can even provide the candidate with a grade above 700.
- The book is so detailed and extensive in its content reviews that candidates will not be able to make use of it without having adequate time for preparation.
- The lessons that have been provided are remedial and targeted at an audience that is prepping for the examination after a long break. It needn’t be as useful for candidates who are already familiar with concepts.
- Despite having an extensive section for subject review, the book lacks answer keys and explanations to the questions they have provided rendering the question section useless.
5 Manhattan Prep-All the GMAT 2019
This book is an updated version of the 6th Edition of All the GMAT by Manhattan Prep. While the previous version has 10 books in all, all 10 of them have been compiled into 3 books for the convenience of students.
The bundle contains books called All the Quant, All the Verbal, and All the Integrated Reasoning and Essay guides which take up over 1910 pages and cost $165.99 in total. The price is higher in comparison to other guides available but reviewers claim that the book has content worth paying the amount for.
- Purchasing the book gives access to 2 e-books with content of a higher difficulty level and 6 full-length practice tests that students can practice on.
- This bundle contains 3 books in all with over 1910 pages covering topics for every part of the test.
- Reviewers claim that the book methodically covers the test section by section and is a great purchase for beginners especially if they plan to self-study for the exam.
- While the book contains all the material necessary for self-study it does not include the GMAT roadmap book that was an essential part of its previous version.
- The book contains a few typos and errors that can make learning the reading and mathematical sections more difficult than it ought to be.
- The pages for this book have been stated to be extremely thin to the point where they are translucent making it difficult for candidates to read and go through it.