Last Updated: March 13, 2022
Best IELTS Prep Apps
IELTS is an examination that is taken throughout the world by students and employees to prove their English language proficiency. Most people take the examination for higher education in English-speaking countries or better job prospects. Preparing for the IELTS can be a hard task based on the level of knowledge one has in the language. And most of the time, it is not easy for candidates to set time apart for studying the language. And it is always better to learn a language on the go rather than fixing a time for it. Students who have a hectic schedule will be able to download prep apps that will help them prepare for the examination.
Since most of the mobile apps available are for free, students will not have to spend a fortune to prepare for the exam anymore. Students will be able to learn with flexible schedules and at their own pace by using such apps. Some apps may require a nominal payment which will allow students to access all the features provided. These features include full-length question papers, video lessons, etc.
Why Choose IELTS Prep Apps
For most students, preparing for an examination means enrolling in programs and courses or purchasing different prep books that can cost a fortune. At the same time, these prep methods require students to have a fixed schedule or they will have to face the inconvenience of carrying the bulky books around. Prep apps for examinations are one of the recent prep methods offered by organizations that allow students to access prep materials on the go through their phones. A few of the benefits of using a prep app include-
- Students will be able to access content that is dedicated to different sections of the examination
- The practice materials provided will be of the same difficulty level as that of the questions in the examination.
- Prep apps can be accessed at any time of the day and is not dependent on the location of the candidate.
- Students will be able to get audio and video content including flashcards that they can use to prepare for the examination.
- Prep apps also contain strategies that students can use about the format of the examination.
Top 7 IELTS Prep Apps
A few of the best prep apps for IELTS are-
IELTS Exam Preparation: Vocabulary Flashcards - Magoosh
This app has been created by the prep giant Magoosh and the app has a rating of 4.6. Students will be able to learn by the language experts who have specialized in teaching students for the IELTS. The app is free of charge and students will be able to sign in to the app without other complications once they have downloaded it. The size of the app is 10 MB and can be downloaded by android devices of 4.1 and above. It is essentially a vocabulary builder which provides more than 600 flashcards. The features provided include-
- 600 words in flashcard form picked carefully by language experts that are said to be commonly used in IELTS examinations.
- The words used will be explained using their official definitions and examples which can illustrate the usage of the word in detail.
- The flashcards have been organized according to the difficulty level.
- Students will be able to track their progress through the app and improve accordingly.
IELTS Prep App- British Council
This app is provided by the British Council and has an overall rating of 4.4 provided by more than 23,000 users. The app focuses on both IELTS Academic and IELTS General and candidates will be able to understand the test format and content of each of the sections in the examination. They also provide video lessons along with plenty of exercises and practice materials for candidates to learn better. The size of the app is 56 MB and it can be used by android devices of 4.2 and above. It can also be accessed on iOS devices of 12.0 and above. Other features include-
- It contains an overview of the IELTS examination including separate sections for the Listening, Reading, Writing, and Speaking parts of the test.
- It provides free practice tests which are at a similar difficulty level as that of the questions provided for the original test.
- The app contains grammar exercises along with quizzes that the candidate can take to improve their overall language skills.
- Video lessons are included for the Speaking section of the test.
- Strategies have been included which can be used while taking the examination.
- There are vocabulary exercises provided for improving one’s band score.
- Students will be able to track their progress and improve accordingly.
- They also provide a preparation checklist customized for candidates.
IELTS Prep- Leap Scholar
This IELTS prep app is provided by Leap Scholar and is a complete guide for IELTS prep according to the developers and reviewers. It has a rating of 4.5 provided by over 22,000 users. The size of the app is 58 MB and it can be downloaded on android devices of 5.0 and above. It is available for iOS devices as well. The features in the app include-
- Live classes for the contents of the 4 different sections of the examination.
- Over 500 questions and answers aimed at students who wish to score above a 7-band score.
- New words are provided daily to improve the vocabulary of the candidate.
- Speaking rooms where candidates can meet other test takers and practice normal speech to attempt the Speaking section of the test.
- Practice materials for all 4 sections at no cost.
- Mock tests where students can track their progress and improve accordingly.
IELTS Complete Prep- AMA English
This is a free app that focuses on complete exam preparation for IELTS and has a 4.7 rating provided by over 2,000 users. The app provides exam content and format-related information along with practice questions that students can make use of. Test-takers will be able to learn better through the content that is categorized according to topics. The size of the app is 11 MB and it can be downloaded on android devices of 4.1 and above. Other features of the app include-
- Advice relating to the IELTS speaking test along with strategies candidates can use during the test.
- It contains audio lessons that can help improve their listening and speaking scores.
- For each level of the Listening section, there are more than 34 lessons from which students will be able to choose the lessons they require.
- It contains practice tests with the same difficulty level as the questions in the original test.
- There are grammar exercises that students can use to learn from.
- Candidates will be able to download content and then view them while offline.
IELTS Practice and IELTS Test
It is provided by LT Software and is for students who wish to get a band score of 9. It has a rating of 4.8 provided by over 16,000 users. The size of the app is 17 MB and android devices of 4.1 and above will be able to access the app. This app can be used on iOS devices also. It contains video lessons for candidates along with daily updates that are unique and never repeated. The features of the app include-
- It contains over 380 practice tests with more than 4,000 questions in all.
- There are writing tasks with model answers provided in detail that candidates can use to improve their writing skills.
- It has a translation tool for all languages which makes learning easier for beginners.
- The app is free of charge and can be accessed offline.
- It contains over 5,000 words that commonly appear in the IELTS test.
- The app has over 600 sample essays.
IELTS Liz- Elizabeth Ferguson
This app is provided by Elizabeth Ferguson who is a competent IELTS instructor. The app contains free video and audio lessons for test-takers along with practice tests and quizzes. The size of the app is 2.9 MB and it can be downloaded on android devices of 4.0 and above. The features included in the app are-
- Quizzes and practice questions for each section of the IELTS examination.
- Strategies and lessons based on the content and format of the examination.
- It contains model answers for the Writing section.
- The app also includes an e-book and course explanation regarding the test.
- It contains vocabulary lists combined with audio lessons to improve the vocabulary and pronunciation of the candidate.
IELTS Exam Prep, Lessons, & Study Guide- Magoosh
This is another prep app provided by Magoosh which focuses on the entirety of the exam content. Test-takers will be able to get details regarding the content and format of the examination along with practice questions and video lessons through this app. The size of the app is 13 MB and it can be downloaded by android devices of 4.1 and above. It can also be accessed on iOS devices of 9.0 and above. The features of the app include-
- The app contains over 90 video lessons explaining the content of the examination.
- Candidates will be able to track their progress.
- App allows students to identify their strengths and improve accordingly.
- Exam strategies are explained in detail.
- Subject-wise explanation of exam content.
Are IELTS Prep Apps Good Enough?
While prep apps are one of the best options that students can have while studying for any competitive exam, this isn’t the best option when opted for in isolation. Using prep apps is best when done as a complementary method to traditional prep methods like enrolling for a prep program or using prep books. Study apps are good learning tools mostly for advanced learners and are also best used as a practicing tool. But at the same time, it isn’t ideal for people to solely rely on them. This is mainly due to the following reasons-
- Prep apps do not always have practice questions that represent the original test format. This might confuse candidates or leave them unprepared during the examination.
- The strategies for attempting the examination better can be far too advanced for a beginner.
- Candidates who use the app during their leisure time might find it hard to manage time and might struggle to attempt questions in time during the examination.
- The apps provide content that is best suited for an advanced learner. Beginners who wish to get a specific band score might not easily benefit from the app if they solely rely on it.