Last Updated: February 15, 2021
How to Register for IELTS?
Are you in the need of proving your English proficiency to a potential employer or college/ university of your choice? Have they states that clearing the IELTS is mandatory to confirm your position? Are you clueless about the process of registration and in need of guidance? The first step toward writing any qualifying exam is to register for it and it is known that registering for qualifying tests can be a little tricky and confusing. So, we have curated a step-by-step list of how to apply for the exam in order to aid you in your endeavor.
IELTS does not have a strict criterion for those who want to attempt the test. The general criteria include that the applicant is above 16 years of age and owns a valid passport. There are no specific education criteria mentioned for taking the test.
Step-by-Step Guide to Register
Applying for IELTS comprises mainly of three steps in all. The first step is to find your test center, then you have to do the actual registration process and finally, you will receive written confirmation of the test date and center.
- You can apply for IELTS offline by visiting their official website or by clicking on this link- Application form .
- Attach copy of valid identity document. The identity document should be the same as the one you intend to present on the test day.
- Submit the filled printed copy at your nearest local test center.
Step 1- Find your Test Center
The initial step to applying for IELTS is to find a test center closest to you. Fortunately, there are over 50 ELTS test centers in the US. In order to find your nearest test center, you can use the search engine they have provided on their official page. Alternatively, clicking on this link will lead you to the official page -Find a Test Location
Clicking on this link will lead you to the official website and you will be able to view a page like this
Select the United States from the drop-down list and click on the Find a test location icon to move on from the page. This will take you to a page that lists out all the test centers in your country.
Here, you can either scroll down to find your desired test center or you can type in your preferred state or city. Typing in your city/ state from the drop-down list filters out the results for you and provides you with the test centers in your location.
Most of the time, you will only be provided with one test center in your location. But in case there is more than one suggestion it is recommended that you avail the center with the least amount of traffic since any delay in reaching the center will make you lose your opportunity to write the exam.
Once you have found the test center of your choice, click on the ” Book Now” icon. With this action, you would have completed the first step.
Step 2-Choose a IELTS Test-Type
There are 2 types of tests for IELTS based on what version of the exam you want to write. The paper-based and computer version of IELTS will be available to you depending on the center you have chosen. In case both the options are available to you, click on the test best suited for you. You can deduce this through the instructions provided by the college/ job training program.
Note that only New Jersey has a computer version of IELTS in the US as of now. Hence you might only see an option to “Register for a paper- based test” .
Now click on the “Register” button. This will lead you to your country’s IELTS website. The steps followed will not differ according to the website though it may appear differently. For an example, we will provide images of the US IELTS page .
Step 3- Choose IELTS Version
There are broadly 3 versions of the IELTS depending on why you are taking the test.
- IELTS Academic- This is taken by people who want to study at a university either for an undergraduate course or a postgraduation course. People who want to join professional organizations in English-speaking countries are also required to write this version of the test.
- IELTS General Training - This test is taken by those who want to study/ train at a level below a degree in an English-speaking country.
- IELTS for UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) and IELTS Life Skills- This is taken by people for proving their proficiency in English. This will aid them in various categories of UK visa applications.
The page will contain 3 links to register for the version that you choose.
Choose a version of the test that meets your needs. In case the versions appear confusing to you, contact the university/ organization you are applying to and enquire which version of IELTS is required to join them.
Step 4-Choose a Test Date
On the page that follows, they will ask you to choose from a few months this year. You are allowed to choose for more than one month. The test dates that you receive will be based on your choice of months.
Once you have chosen the months you will be asked about the test location again. The option you had chosen initially will appear by default and you can click on the same again.
Once you have reaffirmed the test location, the page will display a calendar of the months you have chosen.
The dates shown in the color grey are unavailable. The dates shown in a light blue shade will be the dates available for you at that particular location. If you scroll below after choosing the date, the name of the test center will be visible. Clicking on it gives you the option to “Choose this test” .
Step 5-Choose Speaking test
Now you will be redirected to another calendar from which you will be required to choose a date for the Speaking test. This is the one section of the exam that is taken separately. Follow similar procedures like Step 4 and proceed to the end of the page.
Step 6-Create an Account (if you do not have one yet)
In order to create an account, you will be asked to fill in details about yourself. The name and date of birth that you provide must match the identification document you upload and intend to present at the test center. Discrepancies in details will make you lose the chance to write the exam.
After creating your account successfully, you can log in to the same account in order to complete the registration procedure.
Step 7-Enter your Application Details
In this part of registration, you are required to state why you are taking IELTS. They will also have fields for your personal details including your passport number and expiration date. Upload a clear passport-size photograph where necessary. Ensure that the photograph resembles you as you are now since any difference in appearance might cause confusion to the proctors and they might not let you take the test.
Click “Continue” once you have completed all the requirements in the page.
Step 7- Go through your Details and Pay
After the registration details have been completely filled in, you can proceed to review the information you have typed. Ensure that your passport details are in order and that there are no discrepancies. Click “Continue” pay through credit or debit card
If the payment is confirmed and your amount has been debited from your account, consider the registration done. You will receive registration confirmation including your details regarding the test center and test date to the communication links you provided in your account.
Tips for Easy Registration
- Decide whether you require a paper-based test or a computer-based test. Prior knowledge of the same makes the application process go smoother.
- Keep all materials and information in hand. Having immediate access to them makes filling up the form or uploading documents easier and takes less time.
- Having an easily accessible calendar to go through the available test dates and cross-check with your schedule ensures no further clashes regarding the same.
- Ensure that the test location is one that is nearest to where you will be on that day. In case there are multiple locations available, choose a test center that has the least traffic and maximum parking availability.
- It is mandatory to provide proof of identity, either a passport or a National Identity Card, during registration. It is recommended that you confirm the type of identity document accepted in your test center.
- Ensure that you inform the test center about changes in your identity document before the test date.
- The identity document presented at the test center should be the same as the one used for registering for the exam.
- Register only if you are willing to have your photograph taken. Refusal of the same will result in the inability to sit for the exam. No refunds will be provided in this case.