Last Updated: February 11, 2021
Top 7 Books for IELTS Prep.
Are you striving to top your IELTS exam this year?
For better preparation, you would need good books to do your study. Are you looking for the best IELTS books which will help you to prepare for the test and score top grades for the IELTS exam? Scoring at least above 6 band score opens international opportunities for you whether it is for higher studies or for work possibilities.
We have presented a list of books that would help you achieve your desired result.
List of the Best IELTS Prep Books
1. Barron's IELTS Superpack: Fifth Edition
This is a super-manual for the preparation of the IELTS exam. This pack is a three-book set along with online accessible audio tracks and practice exams. It also has practice tests that help you assess yourself during the preparation period. This guide gives students a complete overview of the test along with effective tips for its preparation. The users of this book have rated it at the top rank as it offers the best IELTS preparation advice and guidance to the students. This book provides the essential reading, writing, listening, and writing sample practice and exercise sheets. It contains all the necessary study materials for the preparation for the IELTS exam. Obtaining the online audio requires opening an account on Barron’s website. Though the cost seems a little high it is due to the inclusion of three books instead of one.
- Barron’s IELTS Contains 4 academic module practice exams and 2 general training module practice exams.
- Also contains an extensive subject review and access to audio tracks online.
- IELTS Practice Exams contains 6 academic module practice exams and 6 general training module practice exams.
- Also contains comprehensive answer explanations and online audio prep.
- IELTS Essential Words contains vocabulary prep with over 600 words that are frequently asked. It also contains access to online audio prep.
2. The Official Cambridge Guide to IELTS
This book can serve as a boon to the students who are preparing for the IELTS exam as this has been written and published by the makers of the IELTS exam. This book comes with a DVD-ROM in it and is a must-have for those who wish to achieve success for their IELTS exam. The main aim of this official guide is to prepare the students for the personal experience of the writers and the candidates who have already appeared for the exam. The book does NOT intend to teach you the language. On the contrary, it teaches a person who already knows the language about the format of the test and about what is to be expected in the test. It is also a book ideal for self-prep if you do not want to rely on external courses and tutors to crack the exam.
- This book is based on the research and written after an analysis of the responses of the actual exam-takers.
- It is recommended for candidates who stand at a band score of 4 and above.
- The book contains 8 official practice tests and the first of these includes step-by-step guidance.
- It focuses more on the academic test than the general training test.
- The book provides content that is concise along with invaluable tips.
- The book contains effective tips with simple practice sets to enhance their practice for the exam.
- Comes with answer keys with comprehensive explanations to improve your preparation.
- The students who have purchased this book have rated this book with a five-star and have reviewed that the book is highly informative.
3. IELTS Success Formula Academic
This book has been formulated by Simone Braverman and contains tips and tricks to improve your score. You will find good explanations on all the topics necessary for IELTS preparation. Though it was published in 2016, the relevance of this book has not diminished over time. This is partly because the exam pattern and format for IELTS have not changed drastically over time.
- Contains step-by-step guidance on achieving a high score.
- Does not meander over unnecessary topics. Is to the point.
- Teaches the difference between a lower score response and a higher score response.
- Contains cue cards similar to ones the examiner might ask you during the exam.
- Has full practice test.
- It has over 70 techniques and 200 exercises in it.
4. Target Band 7: IELTS Academic Module- How to Maximize your Score-Third Edition
This book is written by a former test-taker, Simone Braverman. She has composed this book to be easy to understand and easy to use manual for the students who wish to excel in their IELTS exam. It contains solutions to the typical problems that are encountered by a scholar while taking the IELTS test.
There are useful tips and techniques provided out of self-experience and analysis. The users of this manual have had great success with it and have added a review stating that it is the best book for preparing for the IELTS test.
- Includes a full IELTS practice test.
- Contains information regarding methods to prepare for the exam.
- Mostly speaks about strategies to crack exams than practice materials.
- Helpful for beginners.
5. Cambridge IELTS 11 General Training
This prep book This is a bundle of CDs and Audiobooks which enable the best preparation of the students for their upcoming IELTS exam. It also comes with the answer series to help the students know the correct answer for every query. This pack of self-study materials also contains samples of the previous year's exam pattern and questions to provide additional benefits of preparation to the students. The users of this book have 5-star rated this book as it has served as a complete package solution to their IELTS test-related queries.
- Begins with an introduction to the modules the book contains.
- Explains the assessment system used to grade IELTS officially.
- Contains four authentic IELTS exam papers.
- Has a comprehensive section of answers and tape-scripts at the back of the book.
6. IELTS Practice Test Plus 3
This manual comes with a pack of CDs for developing the writing, reading, listening, and speaking skills needed for the IELTS exam. This guide contains the key to mastering the techniques required for writing the test and scoring remarkable grades for the same. The users have considered the best practice book so far and have also reviewed it favorably. They also contain more practice tests than any other books available in the market.
- Claims to be 100% in line with the current format.
- Has information regarding exam requirement.
- Includes 2020 exam overview and has detailed information about each section.
- Reasonable price
7. Ace the IELTS: IELTS General- How to Maximize Your Score
This book contains the general overall view of the IELTS exam pattern and the type of questions that come in the exam. This is the third edition by the famous writer Simone Braverman who herself had formerly applied for the IELTS exam. Every student must have this book to fulfill their dreams of achieving the desired success in their IELTS exam. The users have highly rated this book and consider it to be very helpful as it is easy to understand and use by any prospective candidate.
- Covers the broad aspects of the subjects covered.
- Contains sample tests and questions.
- Includes a 21-day study plan to guide you like a private tutor.
- Effective tips included from the University of Cambridge.
- Grammar and essay writing is extensively discussed in the book.
- Ways to improve your skills in a few weeks’ time.