Last Updated: April 10, 2021
MCAT Fee Structure
The Medical College Admission Test or MCAT is taken by students who aspire to join Medical Schools as part of their higher studies. It is a computer-based test that has a duration of 7 hours and 30 minutes in all including the breaks. The exam takes an interdisciplinary approach with 4 multiple-choice sections. These sections are Chemical and Physical Foundations of Biological Systems, Biological and Biochemical Foundations of Living Systems, Psychological, Social, and Biological Foundations of Behavior, and Critical Analysis and Reasoning.
The fee related to this standardized test, like other tests of similar nature, is split into different categories like the registration fee, cancellation fee, rescheduling fee, and other additional expenses related to the service required. The cost for applying for the test is relatively high due to the importance of the test and the procedures involved. It is also to be understood that the expenses included in preparing for the test are not limited to registering for the exam since the preparatory materials often require a large sum of money.
Zones for Registering for MCAT
The registration process for MCAT has been split into three different zones by AAMC according to the time in which the student registers. The three zones have different benefits and conditions associated with them. The zones are-
- Gold Zone- Students who apply for MCAT 29 days before the test date will fall into this zone. They get the lowest price for registration and rescheduling the test date. If a student in this zone decides to cancel their registration, they will receive a partial cancellation fee as a refund.
- Silver Zone- Students who apply for MCAT 15 days before the test date will be in this zone. In this zone even though the base registration fee will remain the same, the rescheduling fee increases. Cancelling the test while in this zone will not make the candidate eligible for a refund.
- Bronze Zone- Students who apply closer to the deadline with only 8 days to the test fall into this zone. Since this zone is closer to the deadline, this has the highest base registration fee. Once the bronze deadline has passed, students will not be able to reschedule or even schedule the test. They will not be able to cancel the test or make any changes.
Registration Fee for the Different Zones
The Registration fee for MCAT according to the different zones are as follows-
|Purpose||Gold Zone||Silver Zone||Bronze Zone|
- The International Fee mentioned in the table above is the amount added in addition to the initial registration amount and is applicable only for International applicants. Taxes have not been added to the amounts above and will be added according to the laws in the jurisdiction during registration.
Fee Assistance Program in MCAT
AAMC offers a Fee Assistant Program for students who require financial assistance. This is for students who want to take the MCAT test or are AMCAS applicants in dire need of financial assistance without which they would not be able to take the test and pursue higher studies.
Eligibility Requirement for the Fee Assistance Program
- Student should be a U.S Citizen, U.S National, Lawful Permanent Resident of U.S, a refugee or asylee granted by the U.S Government, a Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals recipient, or a person awaiting their refugee or asylee status to be approved while holding a U.S Employment Authorization Document.
- Student should be willing to produce parental information whatever be their status unless they are deceased.
- Fee Assistance will be granted only if the household reported in the application has a family income that is 400 percent below the 2020 national poverty level.
Benefits of the Fee Assistance Program
- MCAT Official Prep Products which cost around $268 along with all their online MCAT Prep Products will be provided to the student. This will be provided only once even if candidates are able to avail the Fee Assistance Program more than once.
- Students can pay $130 instead of $320 as registration fee.
- The benefits can be availed from the date of approval to the coming December in the next year. That is, the benefits can be made use of for a year.
- One can receive Fee Assistance for a maximum of 5 times in their lifetime.
Fee Structure after Fee Assistance Program Approval
|Purpose||Gold Zone||Silver Zone||Bronze Zone|
How to Make the Payment for MCAT
The payment for MCAT registration can be made through American Express, VISA, and MasterCard which includes debit cards with the VISA or MasterCard logo in it. The registration will be confirmed as soon as the payment reflects in the system. In case the payment has been declined or the credit card charge has been reversed, the registration will stand cancelled until an alternative form of payment has been made.
The penalties for reversing credit card charge or cancelling payment is that the registration may stand cancelled, or that AAMC may withhold the scores of the student including previous scores. They will also not allow students to register in the future nor provide other services until the payment issue has been reconciled.
Despite the registration related fees being mentioned, it is possible that the amount may increase during registration due to the amount of tax being added. Sales tax, value-added tax, goods and service tax, or other charges may be made according to the jurisdiction or country the student lives in.
Cancellation Policies and Refund Amount
Students can cancel their registration before 8 days of the test day which is the Bronze deadline. This can be done by logging into their MCAT Registration System. If students do not cancel their exam before the suggested deadline and do not appear for the test as scheduled, they will lose one among the seven attempts they have for the test. They will also only be able to register for another test 24 hours after their scheduled test day.
Once the cancellation is done, the candidate will receive an email confirming the cancellation. Candidates are asked to contact the authorities if they do not receive the cancellation email within 24 hours of making the cancellation request.
If the student cancels before the Gold Zone Deadline they will be able to receive a refund. Refunds are made through the mode of payment done by the student.