Last Updated: February 10, 2021
Top 7 SAT Prep Classes
Thinking of giving a SAT exam? SAT or Scholastic Aptitude Test is a test that students who want to study in a U.S. university have to give. Consisting of multiple-choice questions and different divisions including Mathematics, Evidence-based Reading, and Writing and Language, SAT tests a student's mental acumen. The results are on a percentile basis, so you know how well you have fared over your competitors rather than a percentage basis. Currently, SAT consists of 1600 points and if you score above 1200, chances are you might get a good scholarship and entry into the Ivy League itself!
What do you need to know about the SAT Exam?
In a standard SAT exam, Reading, Mathematical, and Writing skills are the three major measures. This test intends to assess the potential of high school students to apply for advanced studies. This test score is generally marked out of a total of 1600. There are two subparts of the SAT exam and US-based college boards consider the SAT scores with great importance and are the key to entrance to the top universities in the US.
Preparing for SAT is always about obtaining the right materials and the right mentor to guide you through the exam. In some cases, the right prep books can even eliminate the need for a tutor since they walk you through the key concepts eventually enabling you to self-tutor and crack the exam. Since the exam is fully based on high-school syllabi one might imagine that an external tutor is not essentially required. But this is subject to the understanding you have gained from school. If you feel that you have not been able to grasp the entirety of what has been taught at school and that you need external help, there are online preparation classes along with other places offering to tutor. We have assorted a list of places for you to pick out the best place suited for your needs.
- The Princeton Review SAT Prep offers different types of courses that suit your academic needs and budget. Their most popular course is SAT1400+ where they guarantee a score above 1400 in 2 months for a charge of $1349. This course is available both online and in-person. They have other courses like “Essentials” that covers just the key concepts for $699, “SAT 1500+ Tutoring” for $233/hour, “SAT &ACT Self-Paced” for $299, “Private Tutoring” for $150/hour, and more. Most of these courses are for a year with proctored tests and other prep options. Choosing them opens up their online materials which are best in the line and offers even a money-back guarantee. You can find more information regarding the SAT prep courses and their fee structure on Princeton Review SAT Prep.
- Kaplan SAT Prepclaims to be a best-in-class partner for SAT prep with online courses taught by the best test experts. They mainly offer 2 kinds of courses which are “On Demand” and “Live Online”. It costs $199 and $699 respectively for these courses. The live learning course lets you participate in real-time using interactive learning with teachers who know how to maximize student engagement and achieve higher scores. They also offer unlimited prep in which you can schedule classes at any time you need. You can find more about their courses and system of teaching through their website Kaplan SAT. There is also an option of trying a free class which helps you understand if this method of study is what you actually need.
- Veritas Prep's college is one of the perfect places to get admitted for those who wish to be in the top 10% of all the SAT test-takers. They offer different packages of SAT prep from which you can choose what is most suited to your needs. There is an “On-Demand Course” that focuses on teaching through videos created by instructors whose SAT scores were in the top 1%. You can use this irrespective of time and place for a year and it includes 8 official practice tests. You also get to consult with real admissions officers for free in this package. They also have “Live Online Courses” with 25 hours of live prep classes and a “College Admissions Course” guaranteeing a 200-point increase. If you are not one for self-prep or live classes, they have a course called “1-on-1 SAT Tutoring”. Students can check SAT Prep for the other relevant queries and fee structure.
- University of Chicago offers free ten weeks SAT preparation class in the Hyde Park neighborhood of Chicago. The SAT exam instructors are the University of Chicago students. They conduct full-length diagnostic tests in the 1st week and then move on to teaching strategy and content until they reach the 9th week where they let you practice with full-length final exams. The course fee is absolutely free except for the cost of the book. They generally prep from the books of Kaplan Prep Company and permits students to either purchase the book or borrow it from libraries for the session. To know more about the course preparation, students can visit University of Chicago Test Prep and apply for the course.
- Cambridge Coaching provides you with a comprehensive coverage of all important content included in SAT. This includes a verbal regimen and different proctored practice tests using official tests that have been released. They have a 16-session syllabus and 4 different packages you can choose from. Their packages include an hourly rate, a first-time package, a comprehensive package, and a planning ahead package. Each of these packages is for 4.5, 24, and 30 hours respectively. These 4 packages have 4 different levels that vary according to payment and get tailor-made the higher up you go in the price lane. At the end of the course, the students will be able to familiarize themselves with the format of the exam, score better than the other competitors through the full-length official practice tests, and can determine when to appear for the test. For detailed fee structure, students can check the website http://www.cambridgecoaching.com/standardized-testing-prep/sat/pricing-and-packages target=_blank rel=nofollow>Cambridge Coaching - SAT
- HSA A non-profit based tutoring service by the Harvard student agencies offer one of the best SAT tutoring packages to score better than the other competitors. They offer SAT/ACT Test Prep as both private tutoring and group classes. The private tutoring in SAT Test Prep is called Crimson Coaching and costs around $800 for 10 hours of online classes. The group sessions span five weeks until the test date with four-hour sessions each. They have other modes titles SAT/ACT Private tutoring which starts from $595 for 10 hours. This used to be available in person but has been turned into a complete online course due to the pandemic. Reviews from successful students reveal that they have succeeded considerably in the six weeks curriculum. Through the website,
students can enroll in the courses.
- Penn State Abington is a reliable institution offering high school students with the SAT exam preparation guidance. The tutors help to guide them for the math and verbal portions of the SAT exam and the question and answers of the test components. They have the latest information about the current format of the SAT exam and the regular test-taking techniques and strategies that help to improve the students. The course spans over 5 weeks with 1.5 hours of verbal prep and 1.5 hours of math prep each on Tuesday and Thursday respectively. They conduct this from 5:00 PM to 6:30 PM for students from 9th to 12th-grade levels. Since the course is online, it is conducted through Zoom and hence students are required to have a computer. $280 is the general tuition fee for the students who register for both math and verbal reasoning. Go through Penn State Abington - SAT for the latest details on the fee structure.