Last Updated: November 07, 2023
TOEFL - Take Home
1. What is the TOEFL take-home edition?
2. Eligibility Criteria
3. Launching the test
4. Rescheduling and Cancelling the test
5. Reinstating the Scores
6. After the test
What is the TOEFL iBT Take-Home Edition?
In order to replicate the TOEFL in-person experience, ETS launched the TOEFL iBT at Home exam during the pandemic. However, ETS chose to maintain this test mode as the default because of the test-takers' positive response. Appointments can be made as early as 24 hours after registration, and the test is available 24 hours a day, 4 days a week.
The TOEFL iBT Home Edition is an online test that candidates take in the comfort of their own homes under the supervision of a human proctor. It is identical to the TOEFL iBT test they would take at a testing facility. All around the world, universities trust and accept it. TOEFL iBT scores are used by more than 11,500 institutions across more than 160 countries to inform critical choices.
- Device: Install the ETS Secure Browser first. After that, execute the file to finish the installation. To make sure that one's equipment is prepared for test day, click the Equipment Check button while in the browser.
- A tablet or other mobile device cannot be used in place of a desktop or laptop computer.
- One monitor or screen only; two or more monitors are not allowed.
- A licensed operating system that has been approved. Versions in test mode or without a license are not allowed.
- PC: Windows 10 or later is the recommended operating version.
MAC: Firefox or Chrome browser running Mac OS X 10.13 or later is the recommended operating version.
- To interact with their proctor on test day, candidates must download and install the Measure Learning Guardian Browser on the computer they will use.
- In order to take the test and hear the proctor, use an external or internal speaker.
- Utilize an external or internal microphone that isn't attached to a headset to converse with the proctor and take the test.
- A 360-degree view of the room, including the candidate's tabletop surface and the space beneath it, can be shown to the proctor using a separate webcam or a camera integrated into the computer or monitor screen.
- Before the test, turn off any software that allows for screen sharing or remote access.
- Requirements for environment and test space:
- Before starting the test, all of the room's doors must be shut. During the test, candidates must be in a room by themselves with no other people present.
- Candidates must have a desk or other tabletop surface for their computer and keyboard. Arrange their chair and table so that the proctor can see the room's door. At check-in, the proctor might insist that the test-taker complete this.
- Anything that has not been authorized for use during the test, such as study materials, cell phones, cameras, and notes, must be removed from the tabletop and its surroundings.
- Candidates are not permitted to take notes on paper using a pencil or pen; instead, they may use a small desktop whiteboard with an erasable marker for security reasons. One sheet of paper with an erasable marker is enclosed in a transparent sheet protector. Upon completion of the exam, candidates will have to demonstrate to the proctor that they have deleted all of their notes.
Launching the Test
Students must use the designated time slot to log into their ProctorU accounts. There is a 15-minute window in which to log in; if candidates miss it, the test will be canceled and they won't get their money back. After selecting "Start the Session," the first tabs will verify his identity. After that, the proctor will go over the guidelines. Once the authentication procedure is finished, he or she will give the students the password needed to start the test.
Test-takers should keep in mind that the Proctor will be using their webcam and that the same image will be shared with the institutions they selected when they registered. For this reason, it's a good idea to dress nicely and stay away from any superfluous accessories like cuff links, clips, etc.
Ultimately, rather than the entire room, the proctor may be more concerned with the test takers' immediate space during the exam. All they want to ensure is that during the test, any prohibited devices, like cell phones, or reference materials, are out of their reach. Clear the desk and place only what is absolutely necessary on the table. Because the test taker's system will be watched, try not to access any unauthorized material as this could render the test invalid.
All of the tests would be videotaped for security purposes. Proctor will assist test takers with setup if they encounter any technical difficulties while taking the test. If they are still unable to resolve certain issues, please contact 1-855-772-8678 for assistance. To ensure that test takers have a painless testing experience, ETS has a dedicated team of experts specifically for this area of concern.
Test takers will receive their unofficial reading and listening section scores after finishing the exam. After that, they will be prompted to either report or cancel the scores.
Rescheduling and Cancelling the Test
Candidates must give at least four complete days' notice before the test date if they need to reschedule or cancel their appointment. The rescheduling cost is US$60. Before candidates can sign up for a new test date, the fee must be paid.
By the 4-day deadline, candidates who cancel their test appointment will automatically receive a 50% refund of the test fee they originally paid.
Reinstating the Scores
In the event that a test taker changes their mind after canceling at the testing facility, their canceled scores may be restored provided that ETS receives their request within 60 days of the test date. The test taker can access their scores again in their ETS profile.
There is a $20 reinstatement fee. Approximately three weeks after their request and payment are received, the scores will be reinstated and reported.
After the Test
Candidates will receive the scores 4-8 days after the test date. The institutions selected at the time of the registration will receive the candidate's score shortly after. Although electronic scores are sent regularly, paper score reports might take longer than usual. candidates can retake the test after receiving the scores, however, they can not take the test more than once in a 3-day period.
The test preparation material available online for the TOEFL iBT test can also be used for this take-home edition since the test standard, test scale, and all other parameters are kept the same. ETS provides both paid and unpaid material for the TOEFL test. Prepare well and good luck!