TOEFL - Take Home
1. What is TOEFL take-home edition?
2. Eligibility Criteria
3. Rescheduling and Cancelling the test
4. Launching the test
5. After the test
What is TOEFL take-home edition?
ETS is temporarily offering TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) iBT take-home edition due to the Coronavirus pandemic. It is a joint effort of ETS and ProctorU. ProctorU will be responsible for scheduling the test once you complete your registration on the ETS website. The test is designed to give you the same experience as the actual TOEFL test. So, expect the test questions to have the same standard. The test is available four days a week until September 30, 2020. However, ETS has not taken a decision for later dates.
It is imperative to confirm with your designated university if they accept the TOEFL Home Edition test scores. While most of the universities are accepting the scores, it is always better to visit the university's FAQs section to double-check.
- 1. Country of Origin: Once you register at the website and enter your country, you will be able to see an option of take-home test. Testing services are not available in Mainland China and Iran. Moreover, your primary identification document should be a valid passport (in English).
- 2. Device:
- a) The test can not be taken from a mobile phone or a tablet. A PC with Windows Operating System (7, 8 or 10) or a MAC with Operating System 10.5 or higher is the minimum requirement as mentioned on the official website.
- b) The test must be taken from Chrome or Firefox Browser.
- c) The system should have ETS Browser installed (The instructions, as well as the download file, are available on the official ETS website).
- d) You must run the ProctorU System check on the computer from which the test would be taken.
- e) Headsets or earphones are not allowed. You must use internal or external speakers to hear the proctor during the test.
- f) An internal or external microphone (not a part of the headset) must be used to communicate with the proctor.
- g) Your system should have an active webcam which can be rotated to get a 360-degree view of the room.
- 3. Environment and Testing Space:
- a) You must be alone in your room. No one is allowed to enter the room during the test.
- b) Testing in a public place, such as a park or a cafe, is not allowed.
- c) Any kind of food item (including drinks) is not allowed.
- d) Avoid wearing any accessories and make sure your ears are not covered by your hair or any hat.
- e) Taking notes on regular paper is strictly prohibited. Notes should be taken either on a whiteboard with an erasable marker or on a paper with a transparent sheet protector and erasable marker
Rescheduling and Cancelling the test:
You can reschedule your test to a later date free of charge by logging in to your ProctorU account. The test can be rescheduled anytime prior to the test date and time. You can not reschedule a home test appointment to a physical test centre.
ETS also gives you an option of cancellation. You need to visit the official ETS website for it. Note that if you cancel your appointment no later than 4 days prior to the test date, you will receive a refund amount equivalent to half of the original test fee.
Launching the test:
Log in to your ProctorU account at the allotted time slot. A 15-minute window is provided to log in to the session, otherwise, your test will be cancelled without any refund. The initial tabs after clicking the "Start the Session" button will confirm your ID. The proctor will then proceed with the rules and regulations. After the completion of the authentication process, he will provide you with a password required to launch the test.
Remember that the Proctor will be accessing your web camera and the same photo will be shared to the designated institutions you chose at the time of the registration, therefore it is a good idea to go for decent clothing and avoiding any unnecessary accessories such as clips, cuff links, etc.
In the end, the Proctor might be more concerned about your immediate test-taking space rather than the entire room. He just wants to make sure that any reference material or prohibited devices such as mobile phones are out of your reach during the test. Clean out your desk and keep only the necessary items on the table.
Your system will be monitored, therefore, do not attempt to access any kind of unauthorized material as this may invalidate your test. There is a ten-minute break after the listening section in which you may leave your seat but if you do not return on time, then your test will be cancelled and you will not receive any refund.
The whole test would be recorded for security reasons. If you face any technical issues during the test, Proctor will be helping you do the setup. However, if you still can not resolve some issues, do reach out to the ETS Customer Care service. ETS has a dedicated team of experts especially for this area of concern to give you a painless testing experience.
After the completion, you will receive your unofficial scores for the Reading and the Listening Section. You will then be asked to either report the scores or cancel the scores.
After the test:
You will receive the scores 6-10 days after the test date. The institutions selected at the time of the registration will receive your score shortly after. Although electronic scores are sent regularly, paper score reports might take longer than usual. You can retake the test after receiving the scores, however, you can not take the test more than once in a 3-day period.
The test preparation material available online for the TOEFL iBT test can also be used for this take-home edition since the test standard, test scale and all other parameters are kept the same. ETS provides both paid and unpaid material for the TOEFL test. Prepare well and good luck!