Last Updated: March 25, 2021
Pursuing a petroleum engineering degree from Canada
Petroleum Engineering is the sector that deals with the study of natural gas and crude oil, the development of the many oil reservoirs around the globe, its depletion. Courses in Petroleum Engineering include education in various fields of petroleum geology, economics, thermo-hydraulics, and intelligent systems i.e. all the information you will require for a full-filling career in this field of work. Canada is an ideal destination for such a course because of its rich oil reserves which provide ample opportunities to the Ambitious, besides, Canadian universities foster excellent ties with the industry, allowing their graduate students important connections which allow for easy recruitment after the completion of the course.
Why choose Canada for petroleum engineering?
- Petroleum Engineering is one of the most highly paid professions all over the world, and this ensures a high quality of living.
- Petroleum Engineers are responsible for a safer tomorrow through their new technologies and hence are capable of creating a better environment.
- As the requirement for crude oil and natural gas increases so does the knowledge on improving existing techniques resulting in technological breakthroughs.
- It is an ever-changing field that is immortal (at least for the next 100 years) ensuring a safe career.
- Travelling to various places is a part of Petroleum Engineering-related careers and serves to enhance knowledge throughout life.
General Facts about Petroleum Engineering from Canada
- Master of Engineering, Master of Science, and Ph.D. degrees are offered in Petroleum Engineering by most Canadian universities. The top universities include the University of Calgary, the University of Alberta, Dalhousie University, and the University of Waterloo.
- The minimum requirements include English language proficiency tests such as TOEFL or IELTS, GRE (as per University requirements), strong academic background of a four-year undergraduate degree (in case of a master's degree) with a minimum GPA of 3.0 on 4.0.
- In general, universities will ask for additional documents which include a resume, a statement of purpose, a research proposal, letters of recommendation, and financial proof that supports the education and accommodation costs of the student throughout his entire study period.
- Master of Engineering degree in this field involves a high amount of coursework with lesser research whereas Master of Science degree requires more research-based work and both have a time span of 2 years respectively.
- Doctorate degrees span a period of 5 years with the first two dedicated to coursework followed by examinations and the rest of the years dedicated to research work followed by an oral defense of the thesis.
- Funding is available for all degree types through assistantships, scholarships, and awards.
Top Universities/Colleges for Petroleum Engineering in Canada
- University of Calgary
- University of Alberta
- University of Regina
- University of Dalhousie
- Memorial University of the Newfoundland
- Cape Breton University
- Northern Alberta Institute of Technology
To know in detail about the tuition fees and entry requirements click here
Scholarships & Grants
Financial aid is quite tricky to get in Canadian universities - especially for international students. However, financial aid is not the only way to get an affordable education in Canada. Plenty of schools might offer scholarships to students by academic merit, for foreign applicants/students specifically, and it is mostly available for either undergraduate or postgraduates. Students who perform exceptionally well (also known as outstanding academic performance) may be awarded a part waiver or a full waiver of their tuition fees. In these cases, the student has to pay for their living costs only, and not worry about their academic fee. Although it is important to keep in mind that a lot of people do apply for such awards, and thus the scholarships might not cover the whole study cost.
However, some universities may award students with outstanding academic performance with the tuition fee and the living costs waived off. This is not so common in Canadian universities, but it is a possibility in one of the top universities. In Canadian universities, students will find plenty of scholarships - no matter if they are in an undergraduate course or a postgraduate course. Furthermore, the Canadian government has introduced quite a few scholarships to aid international students. Most governmental scholarships do not require over-the-top academic performance. However, hundreds and thousands of students apply for these scholarships, in order to stand out it is important to keep a good academic record.
Below is a list of all the popular scholarships that are provided by the Canadian universities & government:
- Dalhousie University Scholarships: This scholarship is awarded by the Dalhousie university for domestic, as well as international students. The scholarship is available for all degree levels and can be awarded to current students or prospective students.
- Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation Doctoral Scholarships: This scholarship is awarded to International students who want to pursue a doctoral program in Canada. It is a 3-year program where the student goes through a rigorous curriculum under the mentorship and guidance of other scholars, mentors, and fellows. The student is also required to meet certain goals every year and also become fluent in English and French during this time period. Appropriate guidance and support are provided throughout.
- Quebec Merit Scholarship & Anne Vallee Ecological Fund: Deserving candidates have many opportunities for seeking financial support for pursuing their education or research in Canada. The only care is needed to find astutely for a scholarship program in their discipline and university and apply with the complete form before the deadline of the scholarship grant. Full support by your university / educational institution can be expected by international students.
- Lester B. Pearson International Scholarship: The Lester B. Pearson International Scholarship is awarded by the University of Toronto to potential students who display outstanding performance in their academics. This scholarship is exclusively available to international undergraduate students, and it covers accommodation costs, books, incidental fees, as well as tuition costs for the entirety of 4 years. Moreover, the scholarship does not only consider the academic performance, but also the creativity and leadership qualities an individual displays.
- Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship Program: This program provides a basic fund to students to meet initial living expenses in Canada for the first few months. The grant may go up to $ 10,000.
To know about more scholarships and how to apply click here
Advantages of pursuing a petroleum engineering degree
- Canadian Universities offer quality education with research concentrated in the advanced areas of Petroleum Engineering.
- High standards of living at affordable rates.
- Canada's ample resources aid in technological advancements that are necessary for this ever-dynamic field.
- Most of the Universities offer Petroleum Engineering courses taught in English
- Top-notch faculty members specializing in their specific fields serve as mentors to the students perfecting them in this course.
- Well paid internships and University tie-ups with various industries result in excellent exposure in this field.
- Student exchange programs result in international education.
- Rich cultural experience shapes the students broadening their thought-frame.
Petroleum Engineering is a popular field, and Canada with its flourishing economy places the aspiring students right in the heart of this field through its capable resources.
Cost of Living
Canada offers a superb way of life to its natives and the state additionally gives different advantages to its residents. The state offers world-class well-being administrations to its residents and that excessively free.
Life and living in Canada
The expense for living in Canada ranges anywhere between $8,000 to 15,000 each year. The cost rises even higher if students choose to live and study in major cities such as Vancouver, Toronto, and Montreal. However, for different people, the expenses are different as it also depends on one's lifestyle and various other things. The major expenses could be divided as follows:
- Groceries: Between $150 and $200 per month
- Books and other Supplies: $1,000 per year
- Utilities and Sundry: $300 per month
Job Prospects for Petroleum Engineers in Canada
Detailed look at the job market in petroleum industry in Canada
- Petroleum Engineers can work as Reservoir Engineers in private industries dealing with work-related to the production and optimization of oil and natural gas.
- Drilling Engineers can work in exploration where they are in charge of the technical features of good drilling and completion techniques.
- Production Engineers can work from an office-based environment dealing with specific areas of petroleum engineering such as production, monitoring, and evaluation of techniques.
- Major employers are Suncor Energy, Canadian Natural Resources Limited, Cenovus Energy, Husky Energy, Enbridge,
Talisman Energy, Encana Corporation.
- Average salary for petroleum engineers is around $82,000 per year.