Last Updated: March 11, 2021
Pharmaceutical Jobs in Canada
Pharmacy deals with the study of chemicals and biological systems to apply the knowledge gained for the formulation of novel therapeutic drugs in the health sciences sector. Pharmacists are involved in the many different and varied areas related to the drug development process, as well as therapy and medical information. Pharmaceutical Science is a highly demanding field due to the ever-changing trends. Pharmaceutical-related careers are ample in Canada due to the current shortages, a growing number of hospitals and diseases, and the well-developed resources to manage it all.
An evergreen sector, since humans will always require drugs to combat diseases no matter the state of the economy, a Master's in Pharmacy will always offer a sufficient amount of job opportunities after graduation. Canada through its booming pharmacy sector, a strong economy, and high standards of safety and living is the perfect destination for a graduate degree in this stream of study. Additionally, Canadian universities promote good relations with the industry, provide ample opportunities for internships during the course curriculum itself. This ensures that the amount of money invested in your study is recovered quickly within a few years after graduation.
Pursuing MS in pharmacy from Canada
Working as a Pharmacist in Canada
- Between the years 2019-2028, job opportunities for Pharmacists are expected to grow in numbers, with approximately 13,000 job openings in the field. On the other hand, the number of graduates seeking new job roles as a pharmacist is expected to grow as well. Although, the margin isn't very huge - which means that 90% of pharmacy graduates will secure a job in the field of pharmaceuticals in Canada.
- There is a great shortage in the number of pharmacists in Canada, as reported by the Canadian Pharmacists Association (CphA). This leaves a lot of space and ground for the new pharmacy graduates to secure a job in Canada.
- The Canadian Pharmacists Association (CphA) notes that the Canadian population needs drugs and medications more than ever, with their greying population and for the need to keep diseases at the minimum.
- The demand for pharmacists in Canada is growing at a rapid pace ever since retail outlets providing pharmaceutical services have been expanding and providing 24-hour services. This causes a ripple effect leading the pharmaceutical and biotech companies to recruit more pharmacists than ever before.
- Pharmacists are not contained in a single field of work. They can work either in a retail store or in the health care sector. Moreover, pharmacists are required by pharmaceutical firms, drugstores, and hospitals; which expands the area of work for any pharmacist.
- As mentioned previously, the demand for pharmacists is very high in Canada. But, there are certain areas that have a higher need for pharmacists in their area, they are as follows - Prince Edward Island, Alberta, British Columbia, Ontario, Newfoundland & Labrador, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Manitoba, and Saskatchewan.
- As far as Canada is concerned, pharmacists have been given a lot of importance. The degree of Pharmaceutical & Pharmacy is extremely popular, being provided by Canada's best universities which rank collectively in the world ranking of #600. It is important to note that the universities in Canada provide a world-class degree in Pharmaceutical and Pharmacy, by providing diverse subjects which can be mixed and matched at the convenience and choice of the student. Furthermore, universities provide a practical experience to the students and provide an opportunity to take part in world-leading research, expanding the knowledge and skill set of every student.
- The universities play a vital role in the expansion of the pharmaceutical field since the research conducted by them pushes forward the importance of drugs and medicine more than ever. Furthermore, Canadian universities are exceptionally famous for their ground-breaking research in the field of health-care and medicine.
- Due to the importance placed on Pharmaceuticals and Pharmacy related courses - recently, pharmacists have been considered ideal for patient counseling. Moreover, pharmacists are also being given the title of being drug experts.
Job Prospects as a Pharmacist in Canada
- As mentioned above, there are ample job opportunities in Canada especially in the Pharmaceutical field due to shortages of skilled pharmacists in British Columbia, Saskatchewan, Alberta, Manitoba, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Ontario, and Prince Edward Island regions. This increases the chances of pharmacy graduates getting a secure and stable job in Canada. Once the students work for a set amount of hours (or years) they can apply for a permanent residency in Canada.
- Pharmacists have various roles to play depending on the environment in which they work.
- Community Pharmacists are involved with providing information on the type of drug, its required dosage, and storage. They can work with the government or private hospitals and clinics or can also set up their drugstore.
- Hospital Pharmacists work in the hospital environment with the major role of making sure that the correct amount of medicines are delivered to the patients in cases of intravenous as well as oral administrations. They are in charge of compounding drugs if necessary.
- Industrial Pharmacists are involved in research and conducting trials. They are responsible for drug safety and its appropriate promotion.
- Consultant Pharmacists are involved in consultative services to the patients and clients providing them with the necessary drug information.
- Veterinary Pharmacists to take care of animal diseases.
- Careers in Pharmacy Informatics are also growing wherein the pharmacists are involved with the management and optimization of the health system.
- Careers are also available in the educational sectors to provide quality education and training in pharmaceutical science to prospective students.
Minimum Requirements to Work as a Pharmacist
- A bachelor's degree in Pharmacy or a related field that contains a good number of pharmacy courses. Although, it is quite preferable to have a master's degree in the related field so as to enhance and boost a student's career in the field.
- Good experience and training. Make sure the training and experience if from a certified researcher or professional.
- Individuals must possess excellent knowledge of clinical sciences and pharmaceutical chemistry along with good communication, interpersonal and problem-solving skills.
- License required by the Pharmacists authorizing their practice.
Get a look on how to earn a Pd.D. in Pharmaceutical Sciences from Canada
Advantages of Pharmacy Related Jobs
- Pharmacists are paid a very high salary ensuring a luxurious lifestyle. Furthermore, pharmacists have ensured a secure job in Canada as the demand increases every day.
- Pharmacy-related careers can be pursued at any place around the world, so a Pharmacist will never run out of a job whichever place they go to.
- With the increase in diseases there has been a mounting need for new drugs and effective therapy. As the need for new drugs increases so does the need for qualified Pharmacists.
- The course is not very expensive and is also assisted by many funding opportunities such as scholarships and assistantships.
- A career in pharmaceutical science will be highly challenging and never mundane.
- Canada has well-developed research facilities with up-to-date technology which are relevant requirements in this field.