Last Updated: July 09, 2022
Study in Brisbane, Australia
Brisbane is the third most populous city in Australia and it is also the capital of Queensland with a low cost of living that attracts international students to this location. The city is also considered to have one of the best growing economies in the country making it an ideal place for expats to settle. There are 2 universities in this city that offer international standard education, especially in the fields of business, tourism, medicine, and even law.
The city is home to a diverse crowd with over 16% of its people speaking languages other than English. International candidates will easily be able to blend into the culture and environment that this city offers. Due to the prime location of this city, students who live here will be able to travel across the country and visit all the prominent locations the country is known for without much hassle.
Benefits of Studying at Brisbane
The benefits of studying in Brisbane lie in the multicultural environment students will be exposed to when they are living here. Students will easily be able to immerse themselves in the culture that the city offers and learn more about the country through it. A few of the benefits of living and studying in this city include-
- Higher education is considered to be the most affordable in Brisbane when compared to other cities in Australia. Since Australia offers world-class education, having an affordable option for the same will ease the burden that international students will have.
- There are 2 main universities along with over 10 campuses of prominent universities in this city. Students will be able to enroll in fields like business, IT, computer science, marketing, etc. in these institutions.
- The city is well-connected to other parts of the country making it a popular travel destination. Students will be able to travel for a concession fare if they are using the public transport service.
- Student accommodation in this city is easily accessible by students attending every institution in the city. They will be able to find accommodations that suit their budget most of which will be located close to the institutions they are studying in.
Places to Live in Brisbane
Brisbane is one of the oldest cities in Australia that offer safe and comfortable housing options for expats. Being an economic hub, this place is a popular destination for international candidates and hence students will easily be able to find different kinds of housing options here. Since there are campuses of different universities here, students will also be able to find student localities close by where housing will be cheaper and safer. A few of these localities include-
- Mount Gravatt- This locality is near Griffith University and is considered to be extremely affordable since it is located away from commercial spaces. Students will also be able to easily find accommodation options here owing to a large number of available options here. The average rent is estimated to be around AU$ 1,200 per month.
- Toowong- This place is located close to the University of Queensland and is known for being a quiet locality. But at the same time, students will be able to find different kinds of entertainment options here and they will also be able to enjoy the nightlife that the place has to offer. The average rent here is estimated to be around AU$ 1,700 per month.
- West End- This locality is near Queensland University of Technology and is considered to be one of the most happening places in Brisbane. The place is known for the different bars, restaurants, and other entertainment options that exist here along with other entertainment options the place can offer. The average monthly rent here is estimated to be around AU$1,280.
Cost of Living in Brisbane
Brisbane is considered to be one of the cheapest destinations in Australia for international students. The city has different affordable housing options that students can opt for which include both on-campus and off-campus accommodations. Students will also be able to budget their living expenses here since entertainment and other reasons for extra expenditure can be easily limited here owing to the different affordable options available.
The cost of living for a student in this city is estimated to be around AU$1,400 without calculating rent. This cost can increase to around AU$ 2,000 depending on the lifestyle of the candidate.
The basic grocery expenses in this city are as follows-
- Milk- AU$2 per litre
- Cheese- AU$ 11 per kg
- Apples- AU$ 4.5 per kg
- Tomato- AU$ 6 per kg
- Potato- AU$ 3 per kg
- Wine- AU$ 16 per bottle
Accommodation and Utility Expenses
Accommodation expenses in this city depend on the locality one has chosen to live in and the proximity of the location to the city center. There is no shortage of student accommodation in Brisbane making it easier for students to find affordable accommodation options. The universities here also offer on-campus accommodation to students in their first year of education. Students will be able to stay in shared apartments, studio apartments, etc. while they are studying here.
Students who are living off-campus will have to pay around AU$ 500 to AU$ 1,700 per month depending on where they live. Utility expenses are estimated to be between AU$ 150 to AU$ 175 per month.
Students who live in Brisbane will be able to use the Translink public transport service to get around the city and even commute to their respective institutions daily. The public transport system here includes buses, trains, and ferries. Students will be able to apply for paying only a concession fare as long as they are full-time students in any of the universities in Brisbane.
The rate for a one-way ticket on public transport here is around AU$ 6 whereas that for a monthly pass is around AU$ 200.
Top Universities in Brisbane
There are only two main universities in Brisbane both of which are internationally acclaimed. The city has other educational institutions which are mostly campuses of prominent universities situated elsewhere in the country. These campuses also offer plenty of programs at undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral levels. A few of the most popular institutions include-
Queensland University of Technology
This university was established in the year 1989 and is a technical university that is known for its research expertise. It has a student population of around 53,000 along with over 2,300 academic staff. It mainly provides programs in the fields of architecture, business, communication, education, law & justice, mathematics, and engineering.
University of Queensland
This university was established in the year 1909 and is one of the most prominent universities in the state of Queensland. It is a research university that also offers programs at undergraduate and postgraduate levels. It has a student population of around 55,000 along with over 2,900 academic staff. It has faculties for business, law & economics, health & behavioral sciences, humanities & social sciences, medicine, engineering, science, etc.
This university was established in the year 1971 it has campuses in Gold Coast, Nathan, Mount Gravatt, South Bank, and Logan. It has over 50,000 students along with over 4,000 academic staff. It offers programs in the fields of arts, education, law, business, health, and sciences. The best programs here include MBA, applied psychology, criminology & criminal justice, engineering, etc.
Australian Catholic University
This university was established in the year 1982 and was re-established in the year 1991. It has 7 campuses in Australia out of which one lies in Brisbane. It offers undergraduate, postgraduate, and doctoral degrees in fields like education & arts, health sciences, law & business, and theology & philosophy.
James Cook University
This university was established in the year 1961 and is the second oldest university in the country. It has one of its campuses located in Brisbane and has other campuses in places like Singapore, Townsville, Mount Isa, etc. it has a student population of around 18,000. The best programs offered at this campus are in subjects like tourism, hospitality, MBA, information technology, etc.
Entertainment Options in Brisbane
Brisbane is considered to be a laidback city in that one can relax. The quiet atmosphere and the sunshine that the place has to offer attracts people from around the world to work, study, and settle here. But at the same time, one will be surprised to find that the place has both indoor and outdoor activities that candidates can immerse themselves in. They will be able to visit the different galleries and parks located here. They will also be able to go kayaking, cruising, etc. and they will also be able to enjoy the nightlife the city has to offer.
A few of the places one ought to visit and things one ought to do while in the city include-
Places to Visit
Brisbane is home to different museums, galleries, and other scenic locations that one ought to visit during their stay here. A few of the must-visit places in Brisbane include-
- Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary- Students who are animal lovers will be able to find that the Koala Sanctuary is home to not only 130 koalas but also to over 100 different species of animals from Australia. The best time to visit the place would be in Autumn and candidates will only have to pay around AU$ 24 per person to relax and explore this place.
- Queensland Gallery of Modern Art- This gallery has over 1,700 artworks from around the world. Students who are interested in art will be able to visit this place which is located in Stanley Palace. The main artworks here are from Asia, Australia, and the Pacific. The place does not have an entry fee.
- Wheel of Brisbane- Students will be able to visit this place to get an aerial view of the city. The wheel is around 60 meters tall and it stops when one is at the highest point allowing them to watch the city to their heart's content after which they are brought back down. It is located on Russell Street in South Brisbane and costs AU$ 14 per person.
Things to Do
Students will be able to indulge in both outdoor and indoor activities during their stay in Brisbane. This will include exploring the different cultural aspects of the country and also experiencing the different sports that the place has to offer. One will be able to go hiking, kayaking, cruising, swimming, etc. while in the city. They will also be able to understand the city by learning its art preferences and the like. A few of the must-do things while in the city include-
- Explore Eat Street Northshore-This place is a foodie’s paradise with over 180 different food stalls offering cuisines from around the world. Students will be able to explore the food varieties the place has to offer at affordable rates.
- Kayak on the Brisbane River- Students who love outdoor activities will be able to visit the Brisbane River and take a kayak tour that will provide them with excellent views of the city. They will be able to kayak along the river and they will also be able to enjoy the experience with nature that this will provide.
- Hike on Mount Coot-tha- Candidates will be able to go on long hikes on Mount Coot-tha if they love adventures. They will be able to explore the hiking routes in the forest and observe the central business district while staying safe in nature’s arms. They will also be able to picnic near the hike trials in the designated areas for the same.