Last Updated: August 09, 2022
Study in Canberra, Australia
Canberra is Australia’s capital city which offers plenty of educational and career-related opportunities to both domestic and international candidates. This place is known for its vibrant culture that is representative of the continent and the educational and research opportunities that the city has to offer. Around 19,000 international students come to this city every year making the city culturally diverse and an ideal place for everyone to fit in.
Candidates who wish to study at one of the prominent universities here will be able to get scholarships and other government aid depending on their field of study and choice of educational institution. Students will also be able to find opportunities for part-time jobs since the unemployment rate in this city is among the lowest in the country.
Benefits of Studying in Canberra
Canberra, being one of the most popular study destinations in Australia, offers candidates a multilingual and multicultural environment that they can easily benefit from. Students will be able to mingle with people from different parts of the world and study in environments that are culturally and linguistically inclusive in more than one way. The city is also known for its tourist entertainment and its nightlife making it another reason for being chosen by international students. A few of the other benefits of studying in this city include-
- This city is known to be one of the safest locations in Australia to live in. This is based on the affordable housing options, career opportunities, health services, and even environmental markers that the city has to offer.
- The city is well-connected and hence students will easily be able to find accommodation near their institutions. Even if they have found housing options that are farther away from their institution, commuting daily will not be much of a hassle.
- The city has very low crime rates even for international students and hence students who live and study here will not have to worry too much about safety hazards when it comes to traveling or taking up part-time jobs at odd hours.
- The universities in Canberra are considered to be the best in Australia and hence students who get enrolled here will be able to get placed in multinational companies. They will be able to find work in both public and private sectors based on their subject of choice.
Places to Live in Canberra
Since Canberra is home to plenty of educational institutions that offer different kinds of degrees, students will be able to find student localities close to these institutions. Such places will be located close to universities and at the same time, they will have cheaper accommodation options and entertainment options when compared to other suburbs in the city. A few of these places are-
- Campbell- This place is a 10-minute drive from the city center and is located in the Inner North suburb. It is close to cultural attractions like the War Memorial and Mount Ainslie. Candidates who stay here will be able to find cheap eateries and other places to visit within a close distance. The median rent is around $600 per week for a 2-bedroom space.
- Kaleen- This place is located close to the University of Canberra and the CIT’s Bruce campus making it a popular location for university students to live. The place has its local supermarket and is known for being extremely affordable despite its popularity. The median rent here is around $170 per week in shared apartments.
- Lyneham- This place is also in the Inner North of the city and hence is located close to the Australian National University, Canberra Institute of Technology’s Reid campus, and the Australian Catholic University all of which are popular educational institutions for international students. The median rent is around $600 per week for a 2-bedroom unit.
Cost of Living in Canberra
Canberra is considered to be one of the most affordable cities for living in Australia for accommodation and transportation expenses. But this is not the case right now with accommodation rates climbing high due to inflation. Candidates who choose to live here will have the option of finding plenty of job opportunities that pay well to cover their general living expenses in the city. But while the city is comparatively cheaper to live in, candidates will not have to compromise on their quality of living. Canberra offers a high quality of living that is sometimes considered better than other parts of the country.
The estimated cost for a single person to live in Canberra is around A$1,300 per month without rent.
The basic price for grocery items in Canberra is-
- Milk-A$2 per liter
- Cheese-A$13 per kg
- Apples-A$4.5 per kg
- Potatoes- A$3 per kg
- Onions- A$2.5 per kg
- Wine- A$20 per bottle
Accommodation and Utility Expenses
Accommodation expenses are on the rise in the city with students having to pay more than the affordable rates that the city offered housing options. Students will be able to choose inexpensive options in student localities that are close to the universities they study in. They will also be able to choose from different housing options depending on the lifestyle they choose to lead as a student in this city. Most students opt for shared apartments and studio apartments at places that are close to their universities.
The rent for places is mostly calculated every week in this city and places will have rents increasing based on their proximity to the city center. The estimated rent for a 1-bedroom unit in the city is from A$1,800 to A$1,300 per month
The public transportation system of Canberra is supposed to be one of the easiest ways of getting around the city. Candidates will be able to use the buses and the light rail for traveling since these two means of transport are frequently available during the weekdays and adequately available during weekends. Students will also be able to make use of the Red Explorer Loop Bus that takes people to the cultural and iconic destinations of the city. Candidates who travel frequently will be able to take a MyWay card which costs $50.87 when used as a monthly pass. A one-way ticket will cost around $3.11.
Students will also be able to cycle to most parts of the city by using the cycle paths and bike trails that are easily accessible at all times.
Top Universities in Canberra
A few of the best universities in Canberra are-
Australian National University
This university was established in the year 1946 and it is one of the best universities in the country and the world based on the educational quality and research options they provide. It has a student population of around 20,000 and over 3,700 administrative staff. The faculties that are offered here include fields like arts, social sciences, business & economics, engineering, computer science, law, medicine, environment, physical & mathematical sciences, music, etc.
Canberra Institute of Technology
This institution is one of the oldest in the country that was established in the year 1928. It is a public institution that offers courses for health & fitness, education & community, trades, etc. along with professional programs in interior design, photography, IT, management & human resources, etc. Students will also be able to learn subjects like graphic design, floristry, beauty, art, hairdressing, etc. from this institution.
Australian Catholic University
This university was established in the year 1991 and is spread across 7 campuses in the country. It also has one campus in Rome. This university has been ranked to be among the top 2 % of universities in the world and it is known for the flexible study options it provides. Candidates will be able to take undergraduate, graduate, and research programs from this institution.
University of Canberra
This university was established in the year 1967 ad it is also a publicly funded research university. It has a student population of around 17,000 along with over 1,000 administrative staff. Students will be able to take undergraduate, postgraduate, and doctoral programs from this institution. The faculties that the institution has include one for arts & design, business, government & law, education, health, science & technology, etc.
The University of New South Wales, located in Canberra, was established in 1949 and is a publicly funded research institution. It has a student population of around 63,000 and over 3,200 academic staff. Students will be able to take undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral degrees from this institution. This institution has faculties for arts, design & architecture, business, engineering, law & justice, medicine & health, science, etc.
Entertainment Options in Canberra
Candidates who are staying in Canberra will be able to enjoy the nightlife and other cultural activities that the city has to offer. They will be able to explore the many historically and culturally significant locations that the city has and at the same time, they will be able to explore the mountainous regions that the city is home. This is one of the rare experiences that students can have since Canberra is one of the only cities in Australia to not have beaches but mountains instead. Candidates will be able to explore the nature reserves and mountain ranges to their heart's content and even go trekking and biking in these areas.
Those who prefer touristy things over blending into the city will be able to explore the various cuisines that the city has to offer and they will also be able to learn about the architectural brilliance of the place. A few of the places that one has to see and things one has to do while in Canberra include-
Places to Visit
Located between the cities of Sydney and Melbourne, Canberra is home to monuments that are culturally rich displaying their architectural brilliance. The place is also known for the different galleries, war memorials, and other scenic locations that are close to nature. Students will be able to visit these places of importance to learn more about the culture and heritage of the city during their stay here. A few of the places one must visit include-
- National Portrait Gallery- This gallery is known for its architectural brilliance and the collection of portraits it has of prominent Australian figures. Since the city has a history and heritage that is deeply rooted in politics, one will be able to find portraits of different politicians that contributed heavily to the long-term development of the city.
- National Zoo and Aquarium- This place is spread across 19 hectares and candidates will require 2 to 3 hours to completely view the place. Candidates will be able to choose their adventure programs and feed tigers, servals, bears, and even hyenas as part of the zoo experience.
- National Museum of Australia- This museum is known to have the largest collection of Aboriginal bark paintings. It explores the social history of the formation of the country along with the key events and issues that contributed to the same.
Things to Do
Canberra offers people different kinds of fun activities they can do during their stay here. Candidates will be able to get outdoorsy by exploring the mountain ranges of the place. They will also be able to bike and trek in these areas or visit the nature reserves that are all attractions of the city. They will also be able to be part of festivals and other activities that are held in the city year after year. A few of the things one can do while in the city include-
- Floral Festival- This is a month-long festival held in the city with concerts, food, and different evening programs. Candidates will be able to go to the different parks and mountain trails where they will be able to see the brilliance of spring in the city. The places that one visits include Commonwealth Park, Mount Ainslie, Black Mountain, etc.
- Horse-Riding Tour-Candidates will be able to enlist at agencies that provide horse-riding services. They will be able to take lessons for the same and go riding on the mountainous roads and trails that are part of the city.
- Visit the Farmer’s Markets- Students who live in Canberra will be able to visit the different local markets on weekends where one can find fresh, authentic, Australian food. One will be able to enjoy delicacies like the Aussie meat pie, and also do gourmet shopping while they are at the market. A few of the markets they can visit include Capital Region Farmers Market, Southside Farmers Market, Haig Park Village Market, etc.