Last Updated: May 21, 2022
Study in Melbourne, Australia
Melbourne is one of the popular study destinations in Australia especially due to the quality of education the universities here provide and the sheer number of universities the city has. Since English is the most commonly spoken language in the country, and since the city has a multicultural environment, students will easily be able to fit into the culture that the city has to offer irrespective of where they are from.
The city is also known for the employment opportunities that it provides to students. International students who live here will be able to work for 40 hours a week and surprisingly enough, they will be able to find enough and more work while living in this city. Students will also be able to explore this architecturally brilliant city and roam the different streets that have constructions that date back to the 19th century. They will also be able to go to galleries and museums where they will be able to learn more about Aboriginal art and the past of the country they are currently residing in.
Benefits of Studying in Melbourne
Melbourne is considered to be one of the most livable cities in the world. The city is also home to 9 public universities and other colleges and educational institutions that provide internationally acclaimed programs of study. Since it is a student city, one will be able to immerse themselves in the multicultural environment of the city and learn both about the city and the world simultaneously. A few of the benefits of studying here include-
- Students will easily be able to find part-time work opportunities while in the city. They will be able to work especially in the service industry while they are here.
- 6 of the universities in the city including the University of Melbourne have been ranked among the top universities in the world providing international students with the best education they can receive in the world.
- Universities in Melbourne have policies in place which help them in their education including finding accommodation, covering financial troubles, and even providing help in language learning.
Places to Live in Melbourne
Melbourne has over 9 universities within the city limits along with other university campuses and colleges. Since there are plenty of both local and international students living here, there are places close to universities where these students generally live. These student localities often have cheaper accommodation options and many entertainment options that cater to the needs of students. Students will also be able to find cheap eateries in such areas. A few of the popular localities in which students live include-
- Mackenzie Street- This location is close to universities like RMIT and Monash and students will be able to find different shared accommodation options here. The place also has affordable eateries and entertainment options that students can explore.
- A’Beckett Street- This place is close to the city center and hence can be relatively more expensive. But at the same time, this location is close to universities like RMIT, Melbourne, and Monash. The street is known for its libraries, cafes, and other student-friendly places it has.
- Albert Road South Melbourne- This place is at a walkable distance from the RMIT University. The location is also close to attractions like the Melbourne Market. Students who choose to live here will be able to visit all major tourist attractions in the city due to the short distance they will have to cover for the same.
Cost of Living in Melbourne
Melbourne is one of the most expensive cities in the world to live in. It has been ranked among the first 5 countries based on living expenses but at the same time, the quality of living here is also one of the highest in the world. International students who enroll in universities here will be able to live on a budget if they can find a reasonably priced accommodation since accommodation costs cover 75% of the living expense in this city.
The cost of living in Melbourne for a single person is estimated to be around 1,400A$ without calculating rent. This can go down to around 900A$ based on the lifestyle the student opts while living here.
The price for basic grocery items are-
- Milk- 2A$ per liter
- Cheese- 14A$ per kg
- Apples- 4A$ per kg
- Onions- 3A$ per kg
- Potatoes-3A$ per kg
- Wine- 19A$ per bottle
Accommodation and Utility Expenses
Accommodation expenses that a student can have in Melbourne are dependent on various factors. These factors include the kind of accommodation the candidate has chosen and the distance of the location from the city center. Student accommodations are generally cheaper when compared to apartments and other housing options. Candidates who are willing to live in shared accommodations will also be able to reduce their accommodation expenses significantly.
The rent for a single apartment can range between 1,400A$ to 1,800A$ per month depending on how close the location is to the city center. Utility expenses generally tend to be around 220A$ per month.
Students who live in Melbourne will find that the most popular means of travel in the city is the tram. Candidates will also be able to use the public transport system, including buses and trains. They will be able to purchase my tickets to use both the trams and the public transportation. Since public transportation is efficient and less expensive, the usage of personal cars and taxis is quite uncommon in the city.
The rate for a one-way ticket in the local transport is 4.6A$ and students will be able to purchase a monthly pass for an amount of 159.50A$. This can be used to use both the public transport and the trams in the city.
Popular Programs to Study
The most popular programs that one can do while in the city include-
- Social Work
Top Universities in Melbourne
A few of the top universities in the city include-
University of Melbourne
This university was established in the year 1853 and is the second oldest university in the country. It has a student population of around 52,000 along with about 4,600 academic staff. It has 7 campuses spread across the city with theatres, museums, and libraries all of the international standards. It provides programs in the fields of art, science, oral health, fine arts, commerce, biomedicine, etc.
This university was established in the year 1958 and is a publicly funded research university. It has a student population of around 86,000 along with over 9,000 academic staff. It provides programs at undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral levels. It has faculties for arts, education, information technology, law, medicine, pharmacy, sciences, etc.
This university was established in the year 1887 and is a research university that is publicly funded. It has a student population of 94,000 spread across all its campuses along with over 12,000 academic staff. It has colleges for fields like business & law, design & social context, STEM, etc. with schools for engineering, computing technologies, economics, management, etc.
This university was established in the year 1974 and is considered to be one of the best universities in the world. It has its main campus in Melbourne. The university has a student population of 66,000 spread across all its campuses along with over 1800 academic staff. It has faculties for business, law, medicine, nursing, architecture, engineering, education, social sciences, etc.
Swinburne University of Technology
This university was established in the year 1908. It has a student population of around 23,000 spread across the 6 different campuses. It is a technical institute that deals with areas like data science, computer science & engineering, physical sciences, etc.
Entertainment Options in Melbourne
Melbourne offers students plenty of entertainment options. Students will be able to spend their day exploring the city and its architectural brilliance. They will then also be able to explore the nightlife that the city offers. There are a few many nightclubs, pubs, and other bars they will be able to visit. Students will also be able to learn about the art and culture of the city while living here which will include visiting the different galleries, museums, and other informative spaces in the city.
Places to Visit
Students who live in Melbourne will be able to visit the different museums and galleries the city has. They will also be able to visit the zoo, aquarium, and other prominent tourist attractions in the city. They will be able to cruise on the Yarra River while they are here. One will also be able to explore the various architectural masterpieces in the city. A few of the things one must-see while in the city include-
- National Gallery of Victoria- This is the oldest public gallery in the country containing art relating to European, Asian, and American cultures. Students will also be able to see Oceanic art in this gallery. The gallery hosts more than 40 exhibitions every year all of which have no entry fee.
- Arts Centre Melbourne- Students will be able to attend the different performances that are conducted here from time to time by lead artists in the country. They will be able to find performances in the fields of dance, music, drama, etc. from which they will be able to choose and attend their favorites.
- Melbourne Museum- Students will be able to visit this modern museum house if they wish to learn more about the past and present culture of Australia. One of the main exhibits here is the Bunjilaka Aboriginal Cultural Center and the Phar Lap exhibit. Students will also be able to explore the adjacent forest while they visit the place.
Things to Do
Students will be able to do a lot of fun activities while in the city. They will be able to sunbathe or swim at the beach here, they will also be able to spend their leisure time in bustling marketplaces or explore the cuisine the place has to offer. Students will also be able to go shopping on different popular streets in the city. A few of the must-do activities in the city include-
- Shop at Block Arcade- This place is located on Collins Street and is one of the best shopping destinations in the city. Students will be able to do high-end shopping here from exquisite chocolates to jewelry based on their interests. The architecture of the Block is also fascinating since it was built in the 19th century and maintained ever since.
- Get on the City Tourist Tram- The city has a special tourist tram which runs free of cost to passengers. Students will be able to take this tram and go around the city as a tourist to explore the best attractions one can find in the city.
- Visit Queen Victoria Market- This marketplace was opened in 1878 and is one of the best places in the city to find fresh produce. Students will be able to purchase necessary groceries here or they will be able to spend their leisure time visiting the food stalls and souvenir shops in the market.