Last Updated: June 23, 2022
Study in Perth, Australia
Candidates who wish to study in Australia will come across Perth in Western Australia which is considered to be the best study destination for STEM programs on the continent. This city is known as the education city for international students and is widely popular for the vested interest the universities here have for research-oriented programs.
This city is also known for being one of the more affordable study options for international students, especially when compared to cities like Melbourne and Sydney. Students will find that this city is also one of the most liveable cities in the world for both locals and migrants depending on their purpose for staying. Most people also find it better to settle in this city considering the affordability it offers and the lifestyle that it can provide to all the people living here. The beaches, wineries, and other scenic destinations add to the desirability of the city.
Benefits of Studying in Perth
Out of all the popular study destinations in Australia, Perth is one of the most affordable cities for international students who wish to take up educational courses in STEM programs. This city has universities that provide research-oriented programs in both science and education.
- There are around 35,000 international students that come to the city every year making it a student hub in the field of sciences. Candidates will be able to thrive in the versatile student community without feeling out of place.
- There are 4 internationally acclaimed universities in this city with every university offering high employment rates for successful graduates of programs. There are also other English language colleges and vocational institutes here where students will be able to enroll in programs of their choice.
- The city offers enough and more opportunities for both part-time and full-time employment. While cities like Melbourne have equal employment opportunities, the cost of living is considerably higher there than in a place like Perth which allows people to have a better lifestyle in Perth than in other cities.
- Students will easily be able to work in the tourism and service industry and also take up part-time jobs as teachers and administrators depending on their interests. They will be able to work for around 20 hours a week and earn a substantial amount to support themselves.
Places to Live in Perth
Perth, being a student destination, has plenty of student localities near the prominent universities here. Students will be able to find affordable accommodation and entertainment options in these localities and they will also be able to find employment opportunities. Most locations where students live are located close to the universities they study at. A few of the popular student localities are-
- East Perth - This is one of the safest locations close to the CBD where students can stay. Since it is located close to the Swan River which is a tourist spot, one will be able to find a lot of dining options and other entertainment options in this area.
- Bentley- This suburb is where Curtin University is located and is also considered to be one of the better places to live in Perth. The place is close to the city and also to the airport. It is also known for the varied cuisine and shopping options it provides.
- Fremantle- This place is located close to Murdoch University and is known for the beautiful and scenic beaches it has to offer. It has a relatively lower crime rate and also has plenty of cafes and similar relaxing spots that students can explore.
Cost of Living in Perth
Perth is an affordable study destination for international students. The accommodation and transportation expenses are also comparably lower compared to cities like Melbourne and Sydney. The living expenses one will have while in Perth is dependent on the lifestyle they choose to live and the locality they are in. Students will be able to find affordable living options by choosing to live in areas closer to their university and also seeking out cheap entertainment options.
The cost of living for a single person is A$1,300 per month without rent but this can be reduced to around A$900 per month depending on where the candidate is living.
The price of basic grocery items in Perth is-
- Milk- A$2 per liter
- Cheese- A$10 per kg
- Apple- A$5 per kg
- Tomato- A$5 per kg
- Potato- A$3 per kg
- Onion- A$ 2 per kg
- Wine- A$15 per bottle
Accommodation and Utility Expenses
Accommodation expenses are highly affordable in Perth. Students will be able to find homestays, shared apartments, and other accommodation options within the city. Most often, they will be able to find accommodation near their university which will allow them to commute at a lower expense daily. Since universities are not located close to the city and are mostly in suburban areas, accommodation will more easily be available. The cost of accommodation will be higher when it is closer to the city center in general.
The cost for a one-bedroom apartment in the city center is around A$1,700 and the ones located outside the city center are around A$1,300 per month. But students will easily be able to share accommodations and stay for half this price depending on their lifestyle. The cost of utilities is below A$200 per month.
Students who live in Perth are entitled to have a 40% student discount on all their public transport travel which makes it one of the least expensive places in Australia to travel in as a student. Those who wish to use the public transport system will ideally have to take a Trasnperth SmartRider Card. They will be able to use this card to travel on buses, trains, and ferries to get around the city. The cost of a one-way ticket on public transport is around A$4.80 whereas a monthly pass will be available to candidates for A$130. Candidates are required to recharge their SmartRider Card by paying A$10 as the basic amount to maintain the card.
Top Universities in Perth
There are a total of 5 universities in Perth all of which are internationally acclaimed. On top of this, there are other English language colleges and vocational institutions one can enroll in for various programs. The details regarding the best universities here are as follows-
Edith Cowan University
This university was established in the year 1902 and is a public institution with more than 300 programs being offered at undergraduate, postgraduate, and doctoral levels. It has a student population of around 31,000 along with over 2,000 academic staff. The university provides programs in the fields of business &law, arts & humanities, education, engineering, medical & health sciences, nursing & midwifery, etc.
This university was established in the year 1973 and it is a public university with campuses in Singapore, Dubai, and even Myanmar. It has a student population of around 23,000. It has schools for fields of study like arts, business & governance, education, engineering & information, health professions, law, psychology & exercise science, etc.
University of Norte Dame
This campus was established in the year 1989 and it is affiliated with the Roman Catholics. This university also has campuses in Fremantle and Sydney with schools for arts & sciences, business, education, health sciences, law, medicine, nursing & midwifery, physiotherapy, etc. There are 6 well-known libraries spread across all 3 campuses of this university.
This university was established in the year 1966 and is a research institute that focuses on STEM programs. It has a student population of around 50,000 along with over 1,600 academic staff. Most of the programs offered here are at an undergraduate level. This university has campuses in Dubai, Malaysia, Singapore, and Mauritius. It has faculties for business & law, health sciences, humanities, science & engineering, etc.
University of Western Australia
This university was established in the year 1911 and is one of the oldest universities in the city. It is a public research university with a student population of around 16,000 along with over 1,400 academic staff. The main study areas offered here include agricultural & biological sciences, business & commerce, data & computer science, education, engineering, humanities & social sciences, law, music & fine arts, psychology, etc.
Entertainment Options in Perth
Perth is known for the scenic locations it has to offer including the various beaches, forests, and even prehistoric caves that one can find here. The place is also culturally rich with music, theatre, and history with a love for various forms of art. Students who study here will be able to spend their time exploring the cultural or geographical landscape of the place. They will be able to go whale watching or coral spawning. They will also be able to be a part of the different cultural traditions the place has to offer including music festivals and other theatrical events.
Places to Visit
Being one of the few isolated cities in the world, Perth has plenty of natural and scenic locations one can explore during their stay here. Candidates will be able to visit the different gardens and parks the city has in its urban spots and they will also be able to visit the ancient forests with their prehistoric caves if that is what they are interested in. They will also be able to visit the few many beaches located here or take a walk near the Swan River. A few of the places one must visit during their stay in Perth include-
- Art Gallery of Western Australia- Opened in 1979, this gallery is known for its collection of Aboriginal art that it owns. The gallery flaunts over 18,000 art pieces and there are exhibitions held here from time to time mainly focused on indigenous traditional and contemporary art based in Western Australia.
- Fremantle Prison- This Western Australian prison speaks about a history that dates back to the 19th century. Candidates who love spooky and creepy stories will be able to hear about haunting mysteries that revolve around convicts that were deported from Britain and about locally sentenced prisoners if they go to this place.
- Aquarium of Western Australia- This place will allow one to observe marine animals that are exotic to the Western Australian region. One will be able to walk through underwater glass tunnels and watch manta rays, sharks, dolphins, and other sea creatures if they visit here.
Things to do
Though Perth is a suburban city, one will find that the lifestyle here is quite exotic and that it is unmatched by any city around the world. Students will be able to go whale watching, coral spawning, sunbathing, etc. at the beaches. They will be able to go on cruises on the Swan River and they will also be able to explore the city from one end to another based on their interest and budget. The city is also known for its nightlife which is mostly located at the Elizabeth Quay. A few of the things one must do while in Perth include-
- Dive with Sharks at the Aquarium- The Aquarium of Western Australia is not only a spot for watching underwater creatures. It provides candidates with an opportunity to dive into contained spaces to observe sharks up close. Candidates will be allowed to float alongside sharks in eco-friendly reefs with their scuba tanks strapped on.
- Visit the Wineries at Swan Valley- The Swan Valley is located at the upper ends of the Swan River and is a place known for beautiful countryside views and the different wineries one can find there. Candidates will be able to enjoy the varied cuisine this place has to offer. They will also be able to taste the wines that have been freshly made at the wineries here.
- Visit the Bell Tower- This architectural masterpiece is one of the world’s largest musical instruments. Candidates who get entry tickets to the tower will be able to watch a demonstration of playing the bell and they will also be able to get an aerial view of the city by climbing to the observation deck on the tower.